• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tom's Overdrive kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Gerhard, What effect does drilling the holes have?
Good question... we had this same discussion with Tom, many years ago... It should help to better distribute oil to its backside thrust surface but frankly, I'm not so convinced of this. Instead, I have always added a pair of oiling pockets, there. So far, so good...
I mean, it sure doesn't hurt, plus someone needs to tell me why 3rd gear has them on both sides, but 2nd doesn't...?

..... By the way, do you know where I can buy the "loose cylindrical bearings" for the input gear at ? I've found some suppliers that have the diameter (0.312" ) but not the length ( 0.620" ) ...
No; I got mine from Tom, years ago. Maybe he can tell you his source.

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good question... we had this same discussion with Tom, many years ago... It should help to better distribute oil to its backside thrust surface but frankly, I'm not so convinced of this. Instead, I have always added a pair of oiling pockets, there. So far, so good...
I mean, it sure doesn't hurt, plus someone needs to tell me why 3rd gear has them on both sides, but 2nd doesn't...?
Now I'm more curious than before... what commonly seen damage or failure is it that prompted the mod? I'd sure like to see specs and/or pics of your oil pocket mod if you have them. Thanks Gerhard.

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks Gerhard. By the way, do you know where I can buy the "loose cylindrical bearings" for the input gear at ? I've found some suppliers that have the diameter (0.312" ) but not the length ( 0.620" ) .
Thanks.
Could you go smaller and use 2 bearings?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I'm more curious than before... what commonly seen damage or failure is it that prompted the mod? I'd sure like to see specs and/or pics of your oil pocket mod if you have them....
See this thread...

About the extra oiling pockets (or grooves) it's nothing special, really. Just copy the shape of the other ones.
I just add them because I see no reason NOT to have them. Besides that it is a very easy job to do, using a Dremel and a Ø10mm stone.
I think it helps... but I have no proof of it.:|
20180924_100112.jpg20180924_095256.jpg

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See this thread...

About the extra oiling pockets (or grooves) it's nothing special, really. Just copy the shape of the other ones.
I just add them because I see no reason NOT to have them. Besides that it is a very easy job to do, using a Dremel and a Ø10mm stone.
I think it helps... but I have no proof of it.:|
View attachment 742575View attachment 742574
HOLY CRAP!!! what I see is, yes, looks like 2nd gear galled-up on the mainshaft, but then the 'ol boys pressed 2nd gear right over the 2-3 synchro sleeve keys! OUCH!!!... (only supposed to press 2nd gear about 1/4", just to form a gap between it and the sleeve, so you can grab the SLEEVE ONLY with a bearing separator, press off the sleeve, remove the sleeve keys, THEN remove 2nd gear). In pic #1, it shows the poor key still imbedded on the mainshaft, and pic 2 clearly shows the gouges the keys made as the hub was split by being pressed right over them. Makes me wonder what kinda monster press you've gotta have to press a gear with no keyways right over 2 keys! Thanks for the explanation and pics of the oil pockets Gerhard.
14798950_10210786524520897_919903894_n (1).jpg14793879_10210786523760878_1544442903_n (1).jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

77 AMG

This figures. I am wanting to get the Overdrive unit, but, I have to wait until I have the Deuce paid for. (hopefully, Feb) Once again, I am too late to the dance.

rustystud

This figures. I am wanting to get the Overdrive unit, but, I have to wait until I have the Deuce paid for. (hopefully, Feb) Once again, I am too late to the dance.
Don't kick yourself to bad. I didn't get into the deuces until years after all the cheap ones sold out ! They used to sell for under $500.00 !!!! Running !!!!
What really fries my bacon though is there used to be this old hermit guy in Chehalis WA. that had acres of old M135 trucks and parts. He lived near my fathers land and I used to visit him on occasion. In around 1978 he decided to sell off everything and go travelling. I had the chance to buy complete running M135 trucks for $300.00 to $800.00 . He had over 30 at this time. Plus he had four huge barns full of parts. Engines, transmissions, differentials, transfer-cases, complete wiring harness and all other assorted parts. I passed on everything !!!
Now I'm sick at myself for not even buying one M135 from him.
Then there was the truck repair shop I worked at in 1984 that had huge stockpiles of old WW1 and WW2 and Korean war parts. Huge wooden crates full of NOS parts still wrapped in triple layers of aluminum foil and paper. I got a few Hydramatic transmission bands (NOS) but that was it. There was complete wiring harness for "Half-Tracks" and other stuff like that all over. At my lunch breaks I used to open up packages to see what was in them. Seems the original owner (the grandfather of the present owner) had made his money selling government surplus from WW1. They still had tank tracks for Shermans !!! Complete NOS !!! They also had two Tank retrievers that I parted out for them. They sold the 40ton winches to someone in Alaska. I had the chance to buy them both for $500.00 but again I passed. They both ran !!!
So you missing out on the overdrive kit is not that bad considering !

77 AMG

This is true, sadly. I miss being able to go to DRMO and get stuff as well. Ah, well. Hopefully, I can get some of the more common "up keep" items stocked up/stashed, come Springtime.

WoodyUSMC

OK so the OD kit is no more and there are no known direct replacements for the M35 Trans. At this point is it safe to say that tire size is the only option to increase speed? I'm starting a new build and trying to plan it all out. Where I live 65-70 mph is best for the highways.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK so the OD kit is no more and there are no known direct replacements for the M35 Trans. At this point is it safe to say that tire size is the only option to increase speed? I'm starting a new build and trying to plan it all out. Where I live 65-70 mph is best for the highways.
Plan on a brake upgrade.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be posting about this in the weekend, but the Dutch company Reomie is winding down at an amazing speed, most of the trucks are gone or dismantled, shipped in containers all over the world, but mainly Africa. Some parts are also going to the USA, because its cheaper here and the USA is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkU_yUbNznA

Nevertheless, when somebody gives us the specs, I can have a look here what it would costs in the Czech Republic to make high quality stuff. Maybe in cooperation with Tom.

WoodyUSMC

Oh I plan to do a full disc brake upgrade. As well as power steering and dampener. I am considering putting a DT 466 in. The current motor through a rod and so i got it for a song. I'm going to make it a crew cab and retain the third axle instead of bobbing it. I have a bobber already.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Yes it is official, I have discontinued / sold out of the OD kits. It never was popular enough to be profitable and in the end was a loss. Only ever sold less than 75 kits. I asked for a quote from my gear maker for complete kits but it will be the same story and at least 25 people would need to pay up front and wait maybe 6 mth and then it would likely be $2000 each kit. So you see it just will never happen, don't get your hopes up. I am also trying to sell my custom deuce. Moving toward the LMTV and may develop some parts for it like 1:1 / 2:1 hubs, A/C units etc.
Power steering should be available for at least the next 5 years but you never know.........
Tom

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem parts seem to be the gears themselves. Do you still have any modified mainshafts left? Other parts for the 3053?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Well certainly the gear set is the most expensive but with the few other support parts it just adds up and it is just too much of an investment to do it with no profit. It is a big risk. I routinely spend $20K to $30k on steering parts but they have been selling well enough to encourage me to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks