• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tom's Overdrive kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodyUSMC

so I guess a brownie box is the next option. I saw its bean done and worked well. I'm not all that concerned with articulation. There really isn't much call for off road in my life.

Just not sure what one to start looking for. Suggestions?

rustystud

so I guess a brownie box is the next option. I saw its bean done and worked well. I'm not all that concerned with articulation. There really isn't much call for off road in my life.

Just not sure what one to start looking for. Suggestions?
Spicer 6000 series if you can find a good one. There are three speed and four speed units out there.

rustystud

no not even close, way to big. and the 3053 is already .78 in 5th. all of them, no matter what year or suffix letter.
Hey Tom.
I still cannot find a vender that sells the "loose cylindrical bearings" that fit into the main input gear. Who did you use ?
Also do you have any modified main shafts left ? I still need two for my projects.
Thanks Tom.

Last edited:

WoodyUSMC

Spicer 6000 series if you can find a good one. There are three speed and four speed units out there.
Spicer 6041? or is there a better option? Google isn't being much help haha. My goal is to be able to run as much as 75 mph and not risk blowing the motor. I may be looking at an LDS instead of the dt466.

mann650

Good options from Spicer would be 6231B and 7231B. From Eaton / Fuller look for the 3-A-65. The Letter in the Eaton is the ratio so there will be more than just the A out there. Both of these are 3 speeds that give you under drive, direct and over drive. These will all add about 2 feet to your drive line so keep us posted on how it all works out, I think this is a good option for some.

rustystud

Good options from Spicer would be 6231B and 7231B. From Eaton / Fuller look for the 3-A-65. The Letter in the Eaton is the ratio so there will be more than just the A out there. Both of these are 3 speeds that give you under drive, direct and over drive. These will all add about 2 feet to your drive line so keep us posted on how it all works out, I think this is a good option for some.
I've seen several installations of a three speed overdrive in a deuce. Non will allow the front axle to be engaged, but as long as you remember that, I feel this is a good way to go.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
every transmission regardless of what it does must be in front of the transfer case. that is why my OD kit was such a good idea, but no one wanted them so they are gone. it made the trans better while keeping all the stock ratios except 5th which actually became more like another gear than an OD. get a group together and raise $50,000 and I will make some more. need 25 people.

rustystud

every transmission regardless of what it does must be in front of the transfer case. that is why my OD kit was such a good idea, but no one wanted them so they are gone. it made the trans better while keeping all the stock ratios except 5th which actually became more like another gear than an OD. get a group together and raise $50,000 and I will make some more. need 25 people.
Actually Tom that's not true. You can put the "Brownie Box" after the transfer-case as long as you realize you cannot use the front axle in any overdrive gear. I've seen several people who have done it quite successfully including several here at Steel Soldiers. If you utilize the transfer-cases air shift with a lock out solenoid then you wouldn't even have to think about it. Also the driveline still works fine being cut back several feet. No need to go to extreme U-joints. Since the driveline "plain" is very level due to the Rockwell axle having such a high input.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...................Also the driveline still works fine being cut back several feet....
Really - how many? The propeller shaft from TC to 1st rear axle is only 4 ft long, C-C between caps, fully extended.

.....Since the driveline "plain" is very level due to the Rockwell axle having such a high input.
Almost - yes... when parked at the Walmart...:p

Don't forget rear axle articulation on a stock M35...

Rear suspension, max. articulation.jpg

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

rustystud

Really - how many? The propeller shaft from TC to 1st rear axle is only 4 ft long, C-C between caps, fully extended.

Almost - yes... when parked at the Walmart...:p

Don't forget rear axle articulation on a stock M35...

View attachment 744105
Really Gerhard you need to research this. There are extra long splined drivelines that will compensate for any articulation. Just look at what the boys are doing over at "Pirates 4X4" sometime.
Also the Rockwell input is not moving all that radically compared to the outer wheels. It is staying pretty much in the center where it is suppose to. It is only moving up and down about 4" to 5" max from center plain. That's a 8" to 10" movement. Now if you "need" actual numbers I can get out there and jack-up my truck and measure it. Considering you "always" seem to find some fault in my statements lately.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never known G to come up with some ''EXCUSE'' about anything. Myself he has always help with numbers, info and great mechanical drawings without any attitude. Fortune cookie say man never let ego turn him into gashole.

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rusty Stud re: Gringeltaube; ..."Considering you "always" seem to come up with some excuse about something or other"

Dang, Rusty... you kinda went full-on Rosanne Barr with that comment. Seems I remember you yourself posting about a high blood pressure or heart meds imbalance you had been having awhile back... Maybe time to grab a Snickers, make sure your meds are in-check, and reaccess. Gotta agree with James here... In working on my truck I've looked over tons of old and new posts, and I've never seen Gerhard being anything but extraordinarily knowledgable and helpful. I wish you the very best. - MN

Last edited:

rustystud

Rusty Stud re: Gringeltaube; ..."Considering you "always" seem to come up with some excuse about something or other"

Dang, Rusty... you kinda went full-on Rosanne Barr with that comment. Seems I remember you yourself posting about a high blood pressure or heart meds imbalance you had been having awhile back... Maybe time to grab a Snickers, make sure your meds are in-check, and reaccess. Gotta agree with James here... In working on my truck I've looked over tons of old and new posts, and I've never seen Gerhard being anything but extraordinarily knowledgable and helpful. I wish you the very best. - MN
Really ?!?!? Were going down that road are we ?
Well if you knew what you where talking about you would see that my numbers are correct. Just for grins and giggles, why don't you go out and measure your "rear" driveline. That's the one between the axles. You know the one that takes the "most" articulation. You will find it is only 27" long. The total articulation of a "stock" deuce is only between 8" to 10" "total" at center line. Not really moving all that much. If they did the military would have had to install "double cardan" joints in them. You can look up "double cardan" joints on Google if you don't know what those are.
I've also up loaded some pictures for you if you find reading difficult.

001.jpg006.jpg

In the "same" spirit you wished me, I also wish "you" the every best.

rustystud

Never known G to come up with some ''EXCUSE'' about anything. Myself he has always help with numbers, info and great mechanical drawings without any attitude. Fortune cookie say man never let ego turn him into gashole.
I never said anything about Gerhards drawings. What I am saying is he has been a little testy towards me lately (just take into consideration all the comments he has made on my posts lately) . I told him to research this and I mean that. There has been tremendous advancements in driveline articulation and suspension design in the last 10 years. I would know this as that was my primary focus at work for those last 10 years. Yes, I was a Master Mechanic for 40 years so I worked on this stuff everyday. Is Gerhard a mechanic ? No. Does that mean he is stupid ? No. It just means his specialty is somewhere else. I know this really gets under your skin every time I bring it up, but it is the truth. Oh by the way, you can tell me to go to Alaska now.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
• Do not post unfriendly or insulting comments or replies to other members., This can start unpleasant exchanges which no one wants to read in an otherwise valuable topic. If someone has posted a rude comment to/about the user, the user itself is asked to ignore the remark and report the offending post for review and deletion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks