• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3200 tow upgrade to A2 air lift bumper with reinforcement plate pintle mystery

AOR

To try and not not make things to confusing I recently upgraded my M998 from the 3200 lbs towing MWO to an A2 air lift rear bumper with the big reinforcement plate using inner mounting brackets.
My issue is I am not able to get the nut to go on the pintle shank far enough to get the cotter pin in the hole and I am unable to use the 3/16 thick plate which is showing in the diagrams to use with this setup on the back side between the cone adapter part that looks like a small volcano and the bumper brackets
The 3200 lbs MWO did not use the 3/16 plate or the cone plate part. Thanks to NormB for bringing over his over his 3/16" thick spacer plate plate and I ordered the cone adapter adapter part from a well known online vendor. I contacted the vendor and they looked in the parts books and the part number for the cone spacer when using the reinforcement plate is different but he held them in his hands and said they look exactly the same. The part I was sent is 1 7/8 tall I am thinking since the reinforcement plate is about 3/8" thick that I will need a shorter cone spacer part to compensate for the added material
does anyone have this part or know where to get them or have one loose they can measure for me thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:

AOR

Thank you . I spent some time measuring some items with NormB and the vendor. The pintle shanks appear to be the same length as well as the distance to the cotter pin holes and the height of the nut. NormB removed his pintle and measured these items today he has the A2 bumper with the reinforcement plate
What I do not have yet is how tall the cone/spacer is on his. My mind is telling me that something has to be different when using the reinforcement plate. I would estimate 2/3 of the cotter pin hole on mine is showing BUT I do not have the 3/16 thick spacer between the bumper brackets and the cone/spacer so I am thinking that spacer will need to be 1/4-3/8" shorter than the one I have. I would like a definitive answer I have an end mill here to machine it down if needed but I would really like to do it right as I put all of this on the HMMWV to tow my M1102 trailer as a backup tow vehicle on nice days or when my 2500 is not available

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I installed mine with the plate, I did not use the original spacers but had to get the long collar (volcano) with grease fitting that was not on mine in the stock configuration to get the right depth. Got a civy one from Holland.

I have it somewhere as I upgraded to the extension and it does not use the cone at all just the spacers.

Action

You also do not want the castle nut on there tight. The hitch is supposed to be able to rotate in the hole. Hence the grease zerk on the back side.

Action

If that is your hitch in the pics above, is that a washer under the castle nut? I do not have that. and there is no flange on my castle nut.

AOR

If that is your hitch in the pics above, is that a washer under the castle nut? I do not have that. and there is no flange on my castle nut.

Yes that is a picture of mine if I remove the washer I am pretty sure the cotter pin will go in BUT NormB sent me pics of his with the same setup and his not only has the washer his also has the 3/16" thick spacer plate between the cone spacer plate and the bumper center brackets
here are the pictures that he sent me his bumper setup came pre assembled so he did not need to deal with this issue

Attachments

AOR

I'm having the same issue. Does anyone have a part number for that shorter cone spacer?
Sending a big thanks to 86humv for getting me straightened out on this. Sorry I do not have the part numbers but I did take measurements with a micrometer for the parts that you need for this to be correct see pics

Attachments

kzeyus

FYI: The shorter pintle hitch bracket for the Airlift Bumper with reinforcement plate installed is NSN 5340-01-506-7986 PN 12469170

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks