• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 from Ft. Benning to Winston-Salem, NC

4671 Hybrid

Hello everyone, I just won an auction and need my new to me M1083 movedfrom Fort Benning up to Winston Salem, North Carolina (about 450 miles). I would do it myself but I will deploy next week and just don't have the time.

Conversely, if someone has a place to store it near Fort Benning for the next nine months, I would gladly pay you a fair rate and come get it when I return to the US. Regardless of whether or not I get a lead from his board, I thank you all for your knowledge, experience, and helpful tips that I've been able to read over. Stay safe and have a good one!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Check with member papabear. He has a wrecker company in Columbus and I am sure get it picked up and held for ya. We could probably get it up to NC after the Georgia rally.

4671 Hybrid

Thanks for the tip and the offer of help, both are greatly appreciated!

I look forward to attending the rallies once I'm back stateside, sounds like a good group of folks from the AARs that I've read.

sandcobra164

I'm sure PB can store it for a fee. If he doesn't want it taking up space on his yard, I'll pick it up and keep it in Leesburg, Ga which is about 90 miles in the wrong direction. Since you're deploying, I'd only charge actual fuel amount used and storage is free. I'll even PMCS it and run it on a regular basis. Keep your head down and come back safely. I've been twice and haven't lost a thing over there.

4671 Hybrid

That is extremely generous of you, thanks for the offer!

I just landed yesterday afternoon and getting settled back in for the next 10-12 months. I hear you on not having lost a thing, I was doing the math on the flight and figured that over the last 12 years, I've been out of the country more than I've been in it...unfortunately by a long shot. Looking forward to coming back next year and hanging up the spurs for at least 3-4 years and enjoying then good 'old USA before rolling out again.

I'll reach out to Papabear and let everyone know what the options look alike. Thanks again!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I can pick it up for you if you provide me with the appropriate paperwork....and I can't recall what it takes. If you can get with your contact and find out you can email me the paperwork and a contact number and I can make it happen. That will be cheap....as in just whatever my driver's commission would be for the haul. I'll donate the actual tow to a fellow comrade in arms. (Actually, I've been retired from the Army for over 26 years...Infantry First Sergeant).

NOW!!

Storing that rascal for a year gets kinda sticky and all my space is at a premium but I can offer you indoor storage until...let's say the end of December (31st) 2018. at no charge.

By that time I would expect you to have someone pick it up from my place. (Hopefully next month)

Be advised....I don't want to do this but I will help you out....BUT if you can't arrange to get it moved in that time please find someone else as I am VERY anal about keeping agreements. Even if the fabric of the universe comes unwoven that won't be an acceptable excuse.

I will PM you my email and cell #.:papabear:

sandcobra164

Papabear,
Hopefully the truck moves under it's own power and has good tires. I have no clue. If it runs and has good tires, I'll come by the yard and drive it to Leesburg. If it has good tires but doesn't run, I'll pull it behind my M923 on a towbar with safety chains and airlines hooked up correctly. If it doesn't run and/or has bad tires, I'll reach out to Simp. I don't know the owner either but I'm extending myself as you are to lend a favor to a brother who is across the pond and potentially in harms way. We can discuss in Union Point next month if we haven't figured it out by then.

4671 Hybrid

Papabear,
Wow, I don't have the vocabulary to express the amount of gratitude for your generous offer. A simple thank you doesn't seem to be enough but Thank You! I will certainly take you up on the offer and yes, I promise that it will be out of your sight prior to the end of the year, and hopefully next month as Sandcobra and other members have graciously offered to help as well. One way or another, the agreement you've offered will definitely be honored. I received your PM and will send you all of the paperwork this evening, the pickup appears to be straightforward and I'll do everything I can to keep Pvt. Murphy from showing up and mucking things up.

In return, I hope you'll keep me in mind once I return if you need anything so that I can repay you. If my next duty stations are approved, I'll be no more than 10 hours away which is an easy drive. As far as skills, I'm a jack-of-all-trades with a penchant for learning new things. Seriously, it'd be an honor to lend a hand so please keep me in mind for anything coming up.

Last edited:

4671 Hybrid

Sandcobra,
It was listed as a non-runner but none of the pieces were missing, the tires all held air, and I'm hopeful for some of the same luck that many others have had with supposedly non-running trucks. I'm on a tablet now but will try to post photos and such when I'm on a desktop later.
Although we don't know each other yet, we certainly will in the future when I come down to meet you and show my appreciation, this is such a blessing!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I've sent the Iron Planet rep an email and requested a pickup date. Also called the number listed but no answer....and no voice mail box.

Now I guess we wait to see what happens.:roll::papabear:

4671 Hybrid

If you don't hear back today, feel free to forward me the email and I'll be happy to follow up and take care of the pickup reservation and then forward you the confirmation details.

Really, whatever I can do to make this is as easy and painless as possible for you I'm more than happy to do.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK, I have the truck in my possession. It may be listed as a non-runner but I bet you a dollar to a doughnut it will run. Checked the oil...it's topped off and looks brand new. Won't have time to mess with it for awhile but if you would like, at some point maybe we can try to start it at least.

Took a few pics with my new phone but I'll have to let someone show me how to get them and post em. (Anyone have a 10 year old child handy??)

Last edited:

4671 Hybrid

That's great news on all fronts, hopefully the pickup was nice and easy and I'm excited to hear that it looks complete and fixable. I've already reached out to some transporters and will also start perusing who from NC is coming to the rally. For a quick minute it looked like I might be needed back in the States in early Nov but that was a false flag:(

Rest assured I haven't forgotten the time frame though and I certainly won't forget the generosity that's been shown.

Anyone heading to the rally from NC with the capacity or desire to bring something back with them?

If Flo is coming anyone's way, be safe!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We probably won't get a chance to roll the truck in the shop until late October....just too much going on. I saw a "2404" vehicle inspection sheet from the medical unit that had the truck (no date). The first entry was "needs new batteries". I have a guy who drove one of these in Afghanistan so when we get a chance I bet we can make her run.....at least to some extend...:beer::papabear:

4671 Hybrid

Those are great pictures as well as insight on what may be going on, thanks! That landoll is impressive, it's probably old hat to you but I've always enjoyed seeing the power and innovation of hydraulics. There's nothing like having the right tools for the job!

I'll have to start researching and ordering "maybe" parts soon, I received word that I'll be coming back to the US for a week long training in Feb and I was approved to tack a week of leave onto the front side of that. It'll be gone from your place by then but probably still in GA....will have to stop by and hopefully show you the easy fix that it turned out to be. Wishful thinking perhaps....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks