• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MTR Tire Install

Abbylind

Ive been trying to replace my worn out MTs since April.
Got a set of 90% MTRs from Faith Tire via eBay. He sent an extra 70% tire for a spare (Nice!) After trying 2 of the tires I found they both had sidewall punctures.
Faith Tire is good seller and sent me two more tires....unfortunately out of the 7 tires I got only 2 would hold air...Faith was again a good guy and refunded half of my purchase $.
I wish it was easier to tear the bad tires down. Unfortunately its a bear removing the PVC inserts. I ended up cutting the tires up so I could get the inserts out.
I got 2 more 90% MTRs from another vendor and so far so good.

One trick I will pass along. I had trouble removing the inner wheel from the old MT tire. I usually place a jack stand on The face of the rim (stud side) and hit the top of the stand with my sledge to break it loose...no dice.
I needed a "press" to push the rim out...ah ha! I have one its sitting on another jack stand! My M1008!
I pushed the tire rim combo with the jack stand under the truck positioning it so the front of the rear leaf shackle would push on the jack stand when it was lowered.
I removed the supporting jack stand and lowered the truck... POP! the inner rim came out!
SAFETY FIRST! You are lowering the truck down without any support other than the jack. Keep all appendages clear and no family members or pets running around the truck! YMMV

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lookin' good. We all got a little insight into Faith Tire's warranty nightmare here in a thread a while back. I suppose the scrap tire buyers have discovered there are more reasons than low tread that Uncle will dismount a perfectly good looking MTR.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every one had a small hole in the sidewall. Mebbe some bright DRMO tech "stapled" the decommissioning paperwork to the tires...
At least Faith Tire made it right with you , That's more than Faith can say about one of his suppliers.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Every one had a small hole in the sidewall. Mebbe some bright DRMO tech "stapled" the decommissioning paperwork to the tires...
They are from thorns from being out in the field on training and they are just tiny tiny pin holes Especially any tires that come out of Ft. Hood or anywhere those Mesquite briers are . One reason we bought an mounting air tester to go thru all the HMMWV tires so it is quick and easy to tell if they have issues.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
At least Faith Tire made it right with you , That's more than Faith can say about one of his suppliers.

yeah and point of this guys story is that these tires were sent to him without being tested or checked, so in the agreement that any bad tires would be replaced why would they be sent to a customer across the country if they were known to be bad? Apparently he is not checking his tires like his agreement said he would do? He had the choice to pick his own tires for a cost or whatever comes in a trailer. He chose the trailer and didn't follow up on his end of the deal to check the tires. Apparently they are in NM and that is his loss for not being able to switch them out.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pin hole is unfixable? Seems like with all the new magic chemicals these days, a dab of something would seal it.

Abbylind

One had a hole that didn't leak (completely) until it sat on the bottom. Another was cracked in two places in the sidewall. Another had a pin hole where the tread and the sidewall met. I was told by several tire shops that it is unsafe to repair a sidewall puncture. The sidewalls flex too much and eventually the repair will fail, sometimes catastrophically.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
One had a hole that didn't leak (completely) until it sat on the bottom. Another was cracked in two places in the sidewall. Another had a pin hole where the tread and the sidewall met. I was told by several tire shops that it is unsafe to repair a sidewall puncture. The sidewalls flex too much and eventually the repair will fail, sometimes catastrophically.
There is a safety notice regarding MT/R's in the safety section of the forum. It says to check for sidewall cracks and any slight damage. This is causing blowouts on the MT/R's. Several states issued recall/replace alerts to their LEO/Governments that run them. The military is doing the same. However goodyear nor the NTHSA has issued any recall and was not aware of that notice so they simply state to inspect the tires regularly.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My new MTRs are all 08s too, I'm just really glad Goodyear does not agree there is a factory defect with them. These have the Kevlar sidewalls which is a new thing for tires.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pin hole is unfixable? Seems like with all the new magic chemicals these days, a dab of something would seal it.
They will remold pin holes and call it good , slap some uncured rubber in the hole and lay another layer on the outside then into the mold machine for new tread.

Glockfan

There is no such thing as decommissioning paperwork. Most anything attached to the tire would be a sticky label or an adhesive packing list pouch. Even then, rubber scrap doesn't get labeled as a general rule... Perhaps some "bright" scrap buyer or the activity that turned the tires in made the holes in the tires. Some of the MT/R's have been determined to be unsafe and must be rendered unserviceable prior to turn-in. I believe that TACOM mandated that this be done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks