• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug card

Oerthedge21

So I bought a new gp card for my 1010 since the stock one is starting to get a little finnicky and it's been making fir some pretty hard starts sometimes. Now I know that it's SUPPOSED to be on the left side of the steering column, but I sure as **** can't find it. Either that or I'm just blind and dumb, but I can find no plastic box under the dash except for the two smaller ones for the tach buffer module and whatever the other one is. So does anyone here have any idea why my gp card seems to have up and left on me? Somewhere else it could be or something? Because I've spentbseveral days now poking around under the dash to no avail. I true tracing the blue wire from the relay under the hood but it must've been damaged at some point and turns into a black wire that disappears into the harness.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I bought a new gp card for my 1010 since the stock one is starting to get a little finnicky and it's been making fir some pretty hard starts sometimes. Now I know that it's SUPPOSED to be on the left side of the steering column, but I sure as **** can't find it. Either that or I'm just blind and dumb, but I can find no plastic box under the dash except for the two smaller ones for the tach buffer module and whatever the other one is. So does anyone here have any idea why my gp card seems to have up and left on me? Somewhere else it could be or something? Because I've spentbseveral days now poking around under the dash to no avail. I true tracing the blue wire from the relay under the hood but it must've been damaged at some point and turns into a black wire that disappears into the harness.
Does your "Wait" light come on when you turn the key? If so, that darn card is in there somewhere. The little box that it is in is smaller than you would think. The first time I was under my dash I overlooked it for several minutes before suddenly realizing that it was right there. If it had been a snake it would have bit me. Keep looking and report back.

Hope this helps.

Oerthedge21

Yes the light does come on, like I said they work but it's kinda finnicky. I have a rough idea of the size of the box since I have the new card sitting on the bench, so why I can't find it is absolutely baffling to me. I had no issue finding the tach buffer and the other box, which are both about half the size of the gp card box

dougco1

I just pulled mine because I'm also having troubles. I couldn't find it at first but it will be there. Look for a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It might be mounted or like in my case it was stuffed up high above the steering column.

Oerthedge21

Yeah the new card itself is right around that size so I believe it's the right one, just having trouble figuring out where someone hid the stupid thing, seems like they did a good job of it

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason I asked about the size is that that second little box you found may actually be the glow plug box. As far as I know, there is only supposed to be two little boxes under there. One for the glow plug card and the other for the tach buffer.

Look in the other little box and tell us what you find.

cucvrus

I thought 2 little boxes. One on the diagnosis wiring and one for the low coolant sensor. What do I know. I could be wrong. But the one with the glow plug card should be above the brake pedal bracket or if stock mounted to the brake pedal support upside down on the left side. Have fun getting it down without breaking the push pin. It can be done but it is tedious. Happy Labor Day. Dougco1 is Easter Find giving glow card problems?

Oerthedge21

Yes thats correct according to my TM, they're the resistor board and tach buffer module as labeled in the book. Both boxes are the same size and too small to house the gp card. I looked around on the left side of the steering column but couldn't seem to find the gp box. Maybe I'm just that blind. Both of the small boxes are down in the center of the dash by the ashtray.

dougco1

I thought 2 little boxes. One on the diagnosis wiring and one for the low coolant sensor. What do I know. I could be wrong. But the one with the glow plug card should be above the brake pedal bracket or if stock mounted to the brake pedal support upside down on the left side. Have fun getting it down without breaking the push pin. It can be done but it is tedious. Happy Labor Day. Dougco1 is Easter Find giving glow card problems?
Actually Easter Find is now my spare parts truck.

I use it for trouble shoot issues on my M1009. My glow plug system starting acting up on the 09 so i replaced the controller temp switch; wasn't the problem. switched cards with Easter Find, works fine now. Easter Find is now waiting for a new card from antennaclimber.

Purchased a new re-man wiper motor for the 09 from NAPA, plugged it in and the washer pump kept spurting till the reservoir went dry. I worried that there may be a wiring issue in my column so I installed Easter Find's wiper motor in the 09 to confirm; works like new now. Napa gave me another new one so Easter Find has a brand new re-man wiper motor now.

Oerthedge21

The new card is from Hillbilly Wizard. Its about 3"x3", whereas one of those cards from the smaller boxes I described are only 2"x2". I know the smaller cars are not the gp cards because they dont have nearly the same layout as the gp cards do, the resistors and small circuitry is vastly different. I was trying to upload a pic of them but I cant seem to figure out how to.

Oerthedge21

As I thought. Someone had said maybe one of the two smaller cards was the gp card so ipostee up for confirmation it wasn't. I'm gonna have yet another go under the dash trying to find it, hopefully I will

Terracoma

The GP card box in my M1008 was attached to the brake pedal bracket with a small plastic clip to prevent it from hanging by the wires.

There's a removable flap on one end of the box from which you extract the GP card.

EDIT: Easiest way to locate the GP card box is to follow the wiring from the firewall to the box. All of the GP wiring should funnel through one grommet on a direct course towards the steering column. I've attached a few photos below to give you an idea of length and wiring colors to keep a lookout for.

GPwiring01.jpg GPwiring02.jpg

Last edited:

Terracoma

Not my finest photography with a cell phone, but hopefully they'll give you an idea... Below are photos from my M1008 and my M1031.

I don't have an M1010 to verify, but the glow plug wiring locations should be identical. The grommet you're looking for is slightly adjacent to the fuse block, towards the centerline of the truck.

M1008_GP_Wiring.jpg M1031_GP_Wiring.jpg

Oerthedge21

IMG_20180903_122909866.jpg

You mean this bundle here? Looks the same, except this plug is routed up around the top of the instrument clutser. I unplugged it and turned the key on, and the glow plug system still functioned, which correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the glow plugs not be able to cycle with the card unplugged?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks