• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 front driveshaft dust boot part #

Gunfreak25

Searched, cannot find the part number for the front driveshaft boot used on M1009's. I know it's available.

cucvrus

The GM one has been discontinued for 10+ years. PN 7845127. This the dust boot used on the second design shaft. It is not really needed. If you take the drive shaft off annually and clean and grease the splines all will be good. I had a limited supply of Genuine GM boots and used them on rebuilds over the years. I found them to hold dirt and moisture with a slight tear and the first design shaft if not worn out at the spline had a grease fitting on the yoke. I hope that helps. I may have one new GM one in stock. But it will have a cost. I must be fair I sold them to others that insisted on Genuine GM parts. Have a Great Day. After market covers do the same thing be they made in China or Katmandu. That's why I'm going to Katmandu. Happy Labor Day.

Gunfreak25

Thank you, Nepalese or chinese makes no difference to me. Amy idea if the original is 4 or 5 inches? Theres some generic looking ones that should fit. We get a ton of dirt here, annual dirt fall is at least 10 inches. Can someone say haboob? It would be nice to keep those splines cleanish.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, Nepalese or chinese makes no difference to me. Amy idea if the original is 4 or 5 inches? Theres some generic looking ones that should fit. We get a ton of dirt here, annual dirt fall is at least 10 inches. Can someone say haboob? It would be nice to keep those splines cleanish.

Yuma, the great sand bowl of the west .

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newscasters in PHX were fighting off laughter when the teleprompter, not having "haboob" in its dictionary, substituted "baboon." Beware of a giant baboon limiting visibility on interstate 10...

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find an aftermarket boot that fits, post info to help others.
Spicer does not make one that will fit.

I think I bought cucvrus’s last factory GM boot for my M1008A1.

Still haven’t installed it.
Soon........

Gunfreak25

I took some measurements and I think there is in fact a spicer boot that will fit. Not a perfect fit like the OEM but still very functional. Its 13 bucks. I'll post it when I put it on.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took some measurements and I think there is in fact a spicer boot that will fit. Not a perfect fit like the OEM but still very functional. Its 13 bucks. I'll post it when I put it on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Yes, yes--- please do~!

Gunfreak25

So Spicer 211932X was a no go. Too tight. I'm thinking a dust boot off a Rancho shock absorber will fit perfect with two hose clamps. Vibration should be no problem as we dont generally drive on the road with the hubs engaged anyway.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Rancho cover will not survive the centrifugal force of the front driveshaft, if it will even fit.
It is not made to spin.
Even off-road, the driveshaft will spin fast enough to disintegrate it.
The original GM boot is tough plastic that is designed for and can handle the spinning forces.

Already mentioned in earlier post Spicer didn’t make anything that fits.
When I talked to them last year, they had no plans to make anything that would work.
Almost zero demand for it.
Especially since the civilian trucks didn’t come with them installed.

NOS GM boots are out there.
Just very hard to find and expensive when you do.
That’s why most guys simply remove the damaged boot entirely and never look back.
I was extremely lucky to find a NOS GM boot and clamps still sealed in factory packaging.

Good Luck

Gunfreak25

Good to know, it looks like the new aftermarket shafts for the K5 all use the threaded seal that fits over the female slip yoke end. Probably why nobody makes a boot anymore.

Gunfreak25

Here was a pic of the Spicer 211932X. If I could have just gotten it over the big lip of the slip yoke I could have gotten it clamped on. Wouldnt have been perfect but still very useable and enough stretch in the boot itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks