Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: are there any flu419's left?

Thanks

Yeah, I have been dumb and I have been lucky in FLU acquisitions. The first I paid $8k for and it had a cracked transmission. I ended up parting it out and still have a lot of parts left. The second was running and driving and I bought it off eBay for $7K because I recognized that it was cheaper than ones for Auction at the time. I feel like some people have the fetish that they have to buy at auction to get a good deal. The fact that one with a seized engine at auction sold for similar price to a running one in the classifieds seems to support that people think there is some magic to buying at auction.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Speedwoble For This Useful Post:

The FLU farm (12-02-2018)

Thanks

It's better to be lucky than good, Speedwoble. My first SEE was clean and well equipped, but also pricey. The second one, meant to be a parts car, was quite cheap and turned out to be even better in many ways.

Between the two, I could've almost bought one from C&C. Since I have different uses for the two, I'm quite happy to have both rather than one with nice paint.

General
    Thanks

The other aspect to consider is the dealers who sell Unimogs in general have stayed out of the military 419 market to some extent. If they do dabble in it they usually stick to the high end units and wait for a buyer that just wants to walk in and pay a premium for a "good" one. Those on the board for awhile may remember the drama associated with a HMMH from a dealer in Colorado which resulted in the dealer buying it back. It appears that that one is still listed on the dealer inventory. EI looks like they bought the US military inventory but they have only dabbled in sales, he did have an HMMH or two at one point. Vermont Unimog has rarely if ever listed 419s although given the lack of answering the phone or responding to e-mails I always wonder if they are far more of glossy website then an actual dealer. Unimog Center in NH who I bought my 1300L from has had one or two really nice ones that I suspect went directly from a total refurb to surplus but his concentration is on the SBU variants. He keeps one around for his personal use. C&C seems to be the most active but I suspect he just plays the auction game while it was good and probably either has personal experience from the military or someone who does.

Most of the large military bases have moved to the south and the depots to support them went south also. I believe the guy who bought mine bought it from a depot in VA early on in the surplus cycle. Many of the 419s in the northeast I have seen over the years have been from state surplus programs where the states get to buy or are given surplus military equipment. The problem with these units is the states rarely had trained mechanics and spares so they were run until they were no longer reliable and then parked until the next state auction. The alternative is that my pure speculation is that some folks have figured out how to game the state surplus system and get the units direct from the government.

Pretty much standard to the larger Unimog dealers is they would rather sit on inventory and get a serious buyer willing to pay a premium. The other standard is most want to sell them not fix them. They are complex vehicles and the only way to make a buck on service would be to have a well trained mechanic, the alternative is to have poorly trained one not familiar with the 419 and that sets things up for all sorts of bad feelings with a customer when the number of hours and delays getting parts add up to huge bills.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 12-03-2018 at 06:30.
    Unimog SEE, Unimog 1300L Ambulance (for now)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peakbagger For This Useful Post:

lurkMcGurk (12-05-2018), The FLU farm (12-03-2018)

Private
    Thanks

I have just bought one from an auction house in Holland called Troostwijk it is the 3rd on I have seen go through ,in the description it said running so I bid and won it yey ! The description failed to mention no brakes,leaking cylinder on back hoe and missing hose reel but genraly looks ok

Thanks

Good luck UniMatt, "running" may mean different things to different people but I too also figured at least the brakes would be good if one were to say Running.. Unless they are very literal and meant running but not Stopping! Either way take some pics and feel free to explain how complicated shipping from Holland to Portugal is because that must not be easy. I shipped from Texas to Maine here in the USA and that was difficult enough. Cheers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4