• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

are there any flu419's left?

SeeNebraska

does anyone have an idea how many flu419's the military has left to auction? have we reached the point that the only way to get one is through private sale?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They pop up on govdeals and gsa auctions. Most left to sell are in state hands. I know there are at least 5 at the GSA lot in Dallas.

Some pop up on govplanet but pretty rare these days. There is still a hundred or so on base at RRAD but they are the real really junk ones. Takes 5 trucks to make one after you cut the tree growing thru it out.

General Hood

They pop up on govdeals and gsa auctions. Most left to sell are in state hands. I know there are at least 5 at the GSA lot in Dallas.

Some pop up on govplanet but pretty rare these days. There is still a hundred or so on base at RRAD but they are the real really junk ones. Takes 5 trucks to make one after you cut the tree growing thru it out.
Agreed, I was at RRAD not too long ago and the SEEs I looked at were rough looking, and probably home to some protected species of godforsaken critters

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I’d like to see some attachments auctioned. Perhaps a spare Schmidt loader to mod. Any thoughts if they will auction those?

Doubtful. Most of the attachments were all in the trucks. Member Profo has a few extra loaders off junk trucks. They are in Louisiana though.

Katavic918

I remember seeing a lot of these on gplanet maybe 2 years ago. I wasn't interested in them but remember thinking what bad shape they all were in.

WWIILBird

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they any good at moving snow? I'm so tired of getting the snow blower out. Last winter was a pain 24 inches lthis past March in north jersey.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they any good at moving snow? I'm so tired of getting the snow blower out. Last winter was a pain 24 inches lthis past March in north jersey.
Moving snow seems to be a forte of Unimogs. Which reminds me, I need to install the snow blower on the SEE while the weather is nice.

But to give you an idea, I have dented the fenders and been unable to open the door after pushing through wet snow with a SEE's loader. And that was using only measly ladder tire chains on the practicably useless stock Michelins.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can make up a quick attachment plate like skidsteers have so you can run any attachment you want to it. Your normal bucket or snowblower.

peakbagger

Definitely useless with the loader bucket that come with the SEE. There are a mean snowplowing machine with real snow plow on them. The prior model Case MB94 was quite popular with municipalities as the short wheelbase makes them darn close to articulated. The down side is that the Unimog 406 body which carried on to the 419 is a rust magnet, many of cabs rotted out long before they stopped running.

Schmidt made a beefy snowplow for them. Reportedly there were a few SEEs equipped with snowplows that did bolt up to the stock SEE attachment plate. I have seen a few photos of them including one with air force logos on it. The other thing to consider is the backhoe is going to put plenty of weight on the rear wheels but makes for lousy visibility and big place for snow to build up. If the backhoe is taken off for the winter, it needs a very heavy rear weight added to it or the SEE will probably just tip forward with the plow lifted.

The stock loader would be good for pushing bankings back. My plow guy would love to use mine but by the time he needs it in mid winter my SEE is buried in the wrong place in its winter parking space.

The guy I bought my 1300 from has a Unimog 1300 highway plow truck he bought at auction in Europe, it has a plow, sander, and deicing tank on top of tipper frame. His house is literally on the side of the mountain on a driveway that is 4WD only. He keeps his road open all winter with the plow/sander and uses his SEE to wing the banks back when he needs to.

I have my Honda hydrostatic snow blower for serious snow. Its slow but get the work done and throws the snow an amazing distance.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are still 'normal' Unimogs available that are set up for snow work. Here's one:

http://www.unimog.net/exchange/

Scroll down to item 30.

A non-SEE Unimog has many advantages, like readily available hydraulic circuits and controls, power take-offs front and rear, 3 point hitch capability, etc. SEE's are nice but set up for specific chores, Loader, backhoe.

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just sent home a restored See 419. 1 left. Most of these machines were ignored. Most of the rubber parts need changing...locker seals, ect. Check the wire harness for mice issues...lucky enough to install a new one. Fluid, filters, lube, and lots of fineegling and the trucks come back too life. I built a stand for the loader bucket...the backhoe works fine. Replaced alot of hoses, redid the fuel system, lined the tank, installes H4 bulbs...nice upgrade. Air system cleaned out with new tank....all air fittings cleaned out as they are steel. All in all it it a good machine. It moves dirt maybe not as efficiently as a tracked loader but that machine doesnt have a backhoe either. It does a good job grading, can turn on a dime...and if you dont watch it crawl up a incline that will have you speaking another tongue. Its alot of machine. Dies alot of things. In the right hands it will dig out a foundation, lift and load a dump truck...and run down the road at 40+.

So if you know of anuone who wants one....let me know. Have one left.

Speedwoble

Why are many of the SEEs accused of just sitting? Were they not liked by operators? They look versatile?
A number of them have been sold out of Texas where they sat for a number of years. I suspect they were shipped in to be rebuilt and someone changed their mind. Similar thing happened with the deuces at Ft Riley a number of years ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks