• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some brake questions

russojap

Well, you guys have pretty much sold me on the cunifer line, (even though Audi uses it),but I'm a little concerned about over tightening it. The chart says to only tighten it 1/6 of a turn, that might be pretty hard to accurately judge on such a small fitting, potentially leaving it too lose or too tight. I'll have to check about torque limits on steel lines, seems like it should be higher and more forgiving, more idiot proof maybe. Can anybody confirm this?

Last edited:

tobyS

Thanks Rusty...was wondering since the design value on the 5/16" is at 1800#. Burst is plenty high so it should not be an issue.

yolner

Well, you guys have pretty much sold me on the cunifer line, (even though Audi uses it),but I'm a little concerned about over tightening it. The chart says to only tighten it 1/6 of a turn, that might be pretty hard to accurately judge on such a small fitting, potentially leaving it too lose or too tight. I'll have to check about torque limits on steel lines, seems like it should be higher and more forgiving, more idiot proof maybe. Can anybody confirm this?
My rule of thumb is to tighten until it quits leaking, take it around the block and tighten again if any are moist. Never had a problem.

EDIT: This is assuming you have a good flare on the end of the tubing and the surface on the cylinder isn't messed up. A bad flare won't tighten no matter how you crank it.

Back2Wyo

I replace a brake cylinder on one hub and found that the shield cover is now rubbing on the brake drum. Are the shields needed or should I just get replacements for all 6?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I replace a brake cylinder on one hub and found that the shield cover is now rubbing on the brake drum. Are the shields needed or should I just get replacements for all 6?
There is nothing in there that is not needed. The wheel cylinder shield sheet metal could have been bent wrong on last installation or something else bad might be happening, like parts breaking off due to animals that last worked in there. See damage due to adjuster breaking off. Assure all the parts are there and intact and look around for loose parts.
I suggest take it all apart and clean and paint it all, but I wasn't working in the cold and rain and snow.
Pictures for the General.

banjo fitting brake wheel cylinder.jpgbrake adjuster borke off.jpgconsiderable mess 2.jpgphoto 17.jpgphoto 19.jpgphoto 20.jpgphoto 21.jpg

rustystud

The shields are there to protect the outer rubber seals of the wheel cylinder from debris which can get in the brake drum and spin around causing all kinds of problems. If you get some fine gravel in there which is really easy to do off-road, it can tear the seals to pieces from spinning around in the drum. Think of a centrifuge and the debris spinning around. The shields when properly installed protect the fragile outer seals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks