• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

possible miltary jeep??

Brad

Got a friend that just acquired a jeep that may be a military jeep from what little knowledge I have. At least he'd sure like to know what it is, model, year etc. I guess he didn't get a title as he thinks it is a 52 or so, but it is newer that that, I can tell that much. It is NOT flat fendered and has an overhead valve engine.
But it has a glove box on the drivers side, no tailgate, spare on the back? That's why I suspect military.
Thanks for any advice.
If I had photos I'd post them. If you folks think there is a chance it might be military I will get him to take a few pics.
Thanks as always

dmetalmiki

Without pictures it could be a daihatsu,...or...........anything. It sure is not likely ex military with a glove box on the driver side.

FrankUSMC

Sounds spot on as a M38A1, The glove box is on the drivers side.....and the driver can reach it!!!
No tailgate.
First ones were made in June 0f 1952.
While was in the Marines, I saw a deployed Seabee unit that had a June 1952 M38A1!!! It had to be one of the first ones made, and it was still in service in 1982!!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Brad

MAn, I am confused! From the pics I could find on line, that is what he has, an M38A1.
However, that looks like a much later model jeep? No flat fenders, etc. I had no idea that they made that style in 1953??
I have a civilian 1953 CJ3A that is very line a military 1953 jeep I see every year at a local event, flat fenders and all.
Then here comes this M38A1 that looks like a VietNam era Jeep, but it is a 1953 Also?
Is that also a "Jeep" or was it a lite truck??
Thanks to all

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M38A1 was first produced in 1952 and through 1957 for the army and later for the Marine Corp. It is a round fender jeep that became the civilian CJ5 If I am not mistaken the M38A1 was produced until the early 1970's

fasttruck

I expect production stopped with the introduction of the M151 in the mid 1960s.By 1976 I was in the NJARNG and they surplused out the M38A1s, the M37s and the 211s by 1976. Nobody cried for the M211s but we sure missed the M38A1s and the M37s especially after they issued the M880s.

Brad

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Yes, my post was for real. Perhaps there is a subject somewhere out there that you may not be familiar with. If I can help I would be glad to do so.
Just trying to assist a neighbor that acquired the jeep and did not know what he had.
I appreciate all the kind assistance.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not meant to offend but the info you provided does not allow for any positive ID of the vehicle. It could be anything from a Land Rover to a postal jeep . The vehicle serial number would be helpful if for some reason you have no way to take a picture . I have a vehicle with 4 tires and a glove box with a rear mount spare tire. The owner thinks it’s a 52 but I think it’s newer is not much to go on . I like the pic of the GMC you posted. One of the mystery vehicle would even be better

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M38A1 was first produced in 1952 and through 1957 for the army and later for the Marine Corp. It is a round fender jeep that became the civilian CJ5 If I am not mistaken the M38A1 was produced until the early 1970's
And the M38 became the CJ2 series and was produced for years after M38 production stopped.

Brad

Sorry, but I do not have any photos of his jeep. But from my meager description and the suggested model being M38A1 I was able to look on line for photos and it appears to be what he has. I suppose I should have posted that earlier. I think the ID has been made, and thanks to all.
I have just got out of the hospital and am not quite up to tracking him down to get any photos, but perhaps this afternoon. If I get them I will send and maybe the model can be confirmed.
BTW, He told me he could not find an ID plate. I should have mentioned that also.
Regards to all

Brad

OK Friends, here are a few pics. Man this thing is a lot rougher than I thought. I had had only a glimps of it. When I saw the glove bax, and he told me no tail gate O thought military. Also, the springs are really heavy. I hope these pics help?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks