• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bug and critter screens

jl240z

I did an anti-bug and critter screen(s) for my 803A. Since I live in an area that seems to be one of the primary mud dauber and lizzard captials it was a real necessity. some of those lizzards need to be potty trained and some lay eggs. Anyway I made square frames from plastic 1/2"-3/4" screen moulding. Then I stapled fiberglass window screens to the backside. I used silicone caulk to secure the panels to the generator housing. They don't fit perfectly flat as in my case the alum housing looks like it was attacked by a hammer. I tried to straighten some of the panels a bit to help. The silicone holds it in place and once it cures you can go back and fill any gaps. The one on the top that vents the radiator doesn't seem to hamper the exit of the air and the silicone holds it in place and hasn't blown loose. It doesn't look pretty but it keeps out the pests and leaves. I also replaced all the door rubber weather stripping and sealed up a bunch of holes and foamed inside where the elec cable comes in. Before I put the screens on I cleaned out a ton of debris in front of the radiator and other areas. You may have to remove some panels which is a bit of a pain but I cheated and where there was no blind nuts or access I used the next size diameter of self tapping hex bolts about 1/4-3/16 inch long. They hold tight and are reusable. This works and is worth doing as after almost 2 months the inside was clean and bug and critter free.

Jan

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a run of 1/4" hardware cloth and a whole bunch of sheet metal screws waiting for me to do up 3 machines... maybe I'll snap a few photos when I'm done with them.

boxer4luvr

I'll be critter proofing mine pretty soon after I get it on site, so advice and/or pics would be great! Thanks guys!

jl240z

Ok I will take some pictures as soon (or when)the rain stops. I don't mind and should have done that but I always seem to have problems posting pictures on websites. I always screw something up. I will make the effort as this modification is definitely worth doing. Stay tuned sports fans

boxer4luvr

Ok I will take some pictures as soon (or when)the rain stops. I don't mind and should have done that but I always seem to have problems posting pictures on websites. I always screw something up. I will make the effort as this modification is definitely worth doing. Stay tuned sports fans
I look forward to seeing your work! I appreciate the opportunity to learn from the work of others.

jl240z

critter sceens

ok here is my attempt to down load some pictures. I hope this works. A couple thoughts. If you do something like this. The screen molding I used was plastic not wood. I used a total of two 8 foot sticks. I cut the ends at a 45 like making a picture frame and stapled across the miter. when I cut the screen I cut the panels large enough so that I could fold the oversize inward making it a little thicker so the staples would hold better without tearing loose. This also gives a better surface for the silicone caulk to adhere to. I used a staple gun I had and spaced the staples about 2 inches apart. I used window screen because everything else would be to large. Some of those critters especially the smaller wasps can get thru 1/8 inch holes. I watched one try to squeeze thru a door gap which prompted me to replace the old weather strip. I used the marine grade stuff with the stiky back about 1/4 inch wide. I got it at lowes and it took about 2-packages. so far my attempt to download the pics from my computer have failed. I am directed to an attachment page but it keeps saying upload failed. I tried to send 4 pictures so now I will try just 2 and see what occurs.

Attachments

uniquify

Looks good! That fine screen should keep all of the critters out.

There are a few more holes on the bottom. There's a square hole under the engine block, and a round hole under each battery.

Some folks also cover the holes for the coolant drain hose and the fuel/water separator drain hose.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20180909_111030.jpg20180909_103435.jpg20180909_103601.jpg20180909_103622.jpg

Didn't think I needed to show both battery sides, and the belly opening is 1/2 way done, so I'll add that shot later. But I used 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth (23ga), with neoprene bonded washers and sheet metal screws.

For the battery trays, I mounted downwards (so there were no piercing tips upwards...), but for the belly opening, I used a 2-piece 1/8" titanium drill bit to to just make a starter hole. Could have probably just used self tapping sheet metal screws, but as my set is on a trailer, its easier to just mock in holes and chase up into them.

Used some matched paint (though the green doesnt look quite right... its supposed to be) after it was installed so its not as visually unappealing.

Bmxenbrett

Covering the rad opening isnt really needed. It dosnt open up to the engine bay and no critters are going to get through the rad fins.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will not be doing the radiator for that very reason. Here is the underbelly... pretty straight forward. If I didnt have a cross member in the way from the trailer, I would get the middles of the two sides (but its not meant to be). Should still keep everything out as is.

download.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks