• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

302 vs 331 Holley carb

M37keppy

Hi all, I’ve been wondering if you could use the bigger sized jets for the Gold Comet 331 on a Gmc 302? Would it produce more power, would it screw up the shifting of the auto, or would it cause other problems? Just got to looking at the two using the same carb and thinking. I know that the last statement can get me in trouble sometimes. :D

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Maybe get to the Governor a bit quicker, should not affect the modded cad. trans, use a bit more gas, that's about it, the old cast iron cad trans should handle 400 + hp easy, since the 302 is no where near that I do not see a issue, it will shift faster due to reaching rpm faster and a bit higher vacuum draw. I would go ahead and try it, easy to go back if it does not work out.

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been guilty of enlarging jets on many engines. I usually go up one or two drill sizes and try it if I am working with the stock jets. Yes, it usually yields more power depending on the situation. You can do it, then after driving a while, pull some spark plugs and see if they are blacker than they should be. If you see this, or blacker than normal smoke out the exhaust, then maybe you went too far. If quite white, you can go another drill size. If I go too large, I then carefully lead the jet shut and re-drill it to the smaller size I want to try. There are those who yell out that you cannot do this leading in and drilling out but they are welcome to come down and see how it has worked on my power units in tractors and vehicles. The new alcohol content fuels are a key cause here. To get an older engine to perform like it did jetted for the pre-alcohol blend fuel, more fuel needs to be put into the air/fuel mixture. Many times bringing the timing ahead of factory spec, but not to the point it rattles, helps power greatly also on the alcohol blend fuel. I cannot see it affecting shifting or anything else.
I have an M880 I modified the carb with jet drilling out to run E85 with good success. E85, and to a big extent the 10% blends eat up the rubber in lines, fuel pumps and carbs made for the original fuel so I despise alcohol blends in older vehicles. Leave one set too long with it in them and see how the inside of the carb is literally destroyed with corrosion. I run the 91 octane alcohol-free fuel in all older motors. Yes, it is more expensive but I think that balances out over the cost and frustration over the many destroyed components I have had to constantly repair/replace due to the alcohol. On the farm many vehicles like combines and tractors will sit idle for months so this kind of damage is unacceptable. The bean oil content diesel is no better.

rustystud

I have been guilty of enlarging jets on many engines. I usually go up one or two drill sizes and try it if I am working with the stock jets. Yes, it usually yields more power depending on the situation. You can do it, then after driving a while, pull some spark plugs and see if they are blacker than they should be. If you see this, or blacker than normal smoke out the exhaust, then maybe you went too far. If quite white, you can go another drill size. If I go too large, I then carefully lead the jet shut and re-drill it to the smaller size I want to try. There are those who yell out that you cannot do this leading in and drilling out but they are welcome to come down and see how it has worked on my power units in tractors and vehicles. The new alcohol content fuels are a key cause here. To get an older engine to perform like it did jetted for the pre-alcohol blend fuel, more fuel needs to be put into the air/fuel mixture. Many times bringing the timing ahead of factory spec, but not to the point it rattles, helps power greatly also on the alcohol blend fuel. I cannot see it affecting shifting or anything else.
I have an M880 I modified the carb with jet drilling out to run E85 with good success. E85, and to a big extent the 10% blends eat up the rubber in lines, fuel pumps and carbs made for the original fuel so I despise alcohol blends in older vehicles. Leave one set too long with it in them and see how the inside of the carb is literally destroyed with corrosion. I run the 91 octane alcohol-free fuel in all older motors. Yes, it is more expensive but I think that balances out over the cost and frustration over the many destroyed components I have had to constantly repair/replace due to the alcohol. On the farm many vehicles like combines and tractors will sit idle for months so this kind of damage is unacceptable. The bean oil content diesel is no better.
I have to make a 3 hour "pilgrimage" to get my "pure gasoline" for my truck and other small engines. It is a royal pain !

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Lead plugging/redrilling was done all the time back in time, no big deal, when Swiss and I get around to it, we are going to use epoxy instead of lead to do some jet playing from the m62 carb, We already put shaved heads (3/16) on to raise the compression, it seems to start better.

rustystud

Lead plugging/redrilling was done all the time back in time, no big deal, when Swiss and I get around to it, we are going to use epoxy instead of lead to do some jet playing from the m62 carb, We already put shaved heads (3/16) on to raise the compression, it seems to start better.
I wouldn't use "epoxy" with the gas we have nowadays. It might eat it up. I know it will eat aluminum. Actually might eat up the lead too.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They make epoxy made for gas tanks. I keep at roll of it in my truck tool box. As for jetting I look at the ground strap on the plug and there should be a visible color change heat line right at the curve. Farther to the tip is colder / rich and farther down past the curve down is getting a leaner hotter fuel /air mix but to hot.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks