• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got the '42 Jeep!

JJHoneck

More accurately, the Ford GPW -- but with a Willys engine. lol

It took some doing -- and a long search -- but I finally found a mostly original 1942 GPW. It was in Seattle, WA, which made getting it to our place near Corpus Christi almost impossible. It seems trucking firms don't like dead-heading, and coming to Corpus means going back empty, most of the time. So, I got it delivered to San Antonio and hauled it home on a U-Haul.

It's in great shape, and runs almost perfectly. I have spent about 15 hours working on it, changing all of the fluids and greasing fittings that obviously had not been greased for years. I cleaned the entire bottom with Simple Clean for Aircraft (non-corrosive) and rags, and found a nearly pristine frame and body. In fact, I'm wondering if this Jeep has received a frame-off restoration in the recent past, because it's really, really beautiful underneath a decade of grime.

Yesterday I serviced the oil bath air cleaner for the first time in a long, long time. It had maybe 10 drops of oil in the bottom. Everything is clean and full now.

It's got lots of extras. It came with a brand, new olive drab canvas top (still in the original package), a complete radio (including two antennas and the phone-receiver transmitter/receiver. It's got a Tommy gun on the dashboard (I've refinished the stock -- it looks awesome), the 30 cal machine gun mount (any tips on where to get a 30 cal replica?), accurate markings, the shovel, and a solid jerry can.

It's a blast to drive, and the four wheel drive works perfectly. We couldn't be happier!

One MAJOR problem: I know NOTHING of its history. The seller had only owned it for a year, and he knew nothing about it at all, other than that he bought it from a guy in California. Does anyone recognize it? Did any of you own it, or, perhaps, restore it?

Here are a few pix
--
Jay

Sparky2.jpgSparky.jpgSParkyOnTheBeach.jpgSparkysRadio.jpgSparkysTop.jpg

Last edited:

JJHoneck

That's an awesome find, congratulations. Is the radio functional?
The power cord to the radio is huge, and plugs into a power take off on the backside of the Jeep. It's been cleanly cut, so in order to power it up I will have to splice it. I'm sort of afraid of what will happen if I do! lol

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Awesome! Like you have said it would be Great to find some Pedigree about the GPW. I would continue and make it yours, with the continued acquisition of accessories. And do not hide your Great find of History. Many of todays Youth, and for that matter all ages need not Forget the Sacrifices of a Nation.

Remember that to FIND the extra parts and accessories, even a set of tools, wrenches, a jack, are part of the Hunt. So do not be discouraged and give up as the things you seek are out there. But like the mount and pedestal to get original dated, accept that either price or reproduction of same may be in order.

Good Luck and Remember

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. That is a very nice well equipped GPW. It definitely appears to have had a ground up restoration. Any provenance would have had to be discovered by the person doing the restoration. (uncovered markings etc.) In general, '42s typically remained stateside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks