• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hurricane Florence

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Atlantic Daily Briefing
Issued: 04:12 AM CDT Monday September 10, 2018
Active Systems

NameMax WindClassificationLatLon
Florence105 mphCategory 224.9N59.0W
Helene85 mphCategory 114.0N28.6W
Isaac75 mphCategory 114.6N42.6W
Florence
Hurricane Florence is centered about 1300 miles to the east-southeast of Cape Fear, North Carolina. Our forecast takes Florence northwestward and inland into the North Carolina coast Thursday evening as a category 3 hurricane. Florence is forecast to slow down after moving inland Friday into next weekend and may cause a major inland flood event across portions of North Carolina and southern Virginia. Please see our latest advisory on your StormGeo web portal for further details.
Helene
Hurricane Helene is located in the far eastern Atlantic about 300 miles to the west of the southern Cape Verde Islands. Helene should track out to sea to the northwest and turn to the north in 3 days. Helene is forecast to pass to the west of the Azores next weekend. Please see our latest advisory on your StormGeo web portal for further details.
Isaac
Hurricane Isaac is centered about 1225 miles to the east of Martinique. Isaac is forecast to track westward over the next few days and track near Dominica and Guadeloupe on Thursday morning as a hurricane or strong tropical storm. Isaac will encounter increasing wind shear after entering the Caribbean and will weaken to a remnant low in the central Caribbean next weekend. Please see our latest advisory on your StormGeo web portal for further details.
Other Disturbances / Areas to Watch
Disturbance 37 is located over the northwestern Caribbean. The disturbance is producing a large area of heavy squalls across the northwest Caribbean, but there are no indications of a circulation center developing. The disturbance will move into the south-central Gulf on Tuesday then track slowly northward and into the Texas coast by Thursday or Friday. Some model guidance indicates slow development over the western Gulf while others show no development. The system will produce squalls with wind gusts to 50-60 mph across portions of the northwest Gulf on Wednesday into Thursday. The disturbance may bring heavy rain to the Texas coast by Thursday into Friday. The chance of this disturbance developing into a tropical depression or tropical storm has increased from 20 percent to 30 percent.
An area of non-tropical low pressure is forecast to develop several hundred miles to the west-southwest of the Azores by the middle of this week. Some slow subtropical or tropical development is possible with the system late this week as it moves to the southwest. The chance of tropical development is estimated at near 40 percent. The system is forecast to meander out to the east of Bermuda next weekend and not affect any land areas.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, and potentially a very big expense to replace should an extended run cause an engine failure. Wouldnt be unheard of. Whats your gph burn rate with the tractor?

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hotel reservations made for Thursday, Friday nights - hopefully can cancel them Wednesday. Am due for a load test on the genny - will do that tonight. Reviewing evacuation checklists. We left for Irma, stayed during Matthew, but won't think twice about leaving our marsh front home if a Cat 3 or greater storm is heading our way. Too many 60 foot pine trees within striking distance of the house.

Katahdin

Yup, and potentially a very big expense to replace should an extended run cause an engine failure. Wouldnt be unheard of. Whats your gph burn rate with the tractor?
About a gallon per hour at PTO speed @2500 RPM. Note, this is not a long stroke diesel, the bore/stroke ratio is close to 1:1. 88mm bore, 90mm stroke. Yanmar diesel reliability is pretty darn good, you guys aren't scaring me.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About a gallon per hour at PTO speed @2500 RPM. Note, this is not a long stroke diesel, the bore/stroke ratio is close to 1:1. 88mm bore, 90mm stroke. Yanmar diesel reliability is pretty darn good, you guys aren't scaring me.
I don't think any of us are trying to scare you, information is information. Im sure your setup works for you, and thats all that matters.

biz

ouch. a gallon per hour. thats steep. it works tho.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't worry anyway with a diesel . I used to work for a pond digging company and we used to run a 110HP IH farm tractor with a 16 inch gator pump hooked to it for months at a time .

csheath

Hotel reservations made for Thursday, Friday nights - hopefully can cancel them Wednesday. Am due for a load test on the genny - will do that tonight. Reviewing evacuation checklists. We left for Irma, stayed during Matthew, but won't think twice about leaving our marsh front home if a Cat 3 or greater storm is heading our way. Too many 60 foot pine trees within striking distance of the house.
I'm not even on the coast and that is my rule. Up through CAT 2 we batten down the hatches and ride it out. CAT 3 and above we are outta here.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, carp. I was load testing the generator tonight - everything was looking good - ran at 50 percent for a half hour or so, went to 75 percent and blew the head gasket. UGH. Hopefully it won't be needed for these next few storms. Good news is it looks to be a fairly simple job (as compared to many other engine designs). Time to order parts, get out the TM's, and read other's head gasket stories. At least it chose to go out during a test and not an event. It ran flawlessly for several days during Irma.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, carp. I was load testing the generator tonight - everything was looking good - ran at 50 percent for a half hour or so, went to 75 percent and blew the head gasket. UGH. Hopefully it won't be needed for these next few storms. Good news is it looks to be a fairly simple job (as compared to many other engine designs). Time to order parts, get out the TM's, and read other's head gasket stories. At least it chose to go out during a test and not an event. It ran flawlessly for several days during Irma.
Bummer.
Praying your needs will be met.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sucks, but is only further reinforcement of 'two is one, one is none'. I hope you get operational again soon!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IF you are in the area, lots of places have ordered evacuations. Also, At least in Cumberland County, overnight curfews have been initiated. I'm not sure how much it's being enforced yet, but, it is.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IF you are in the area, lots of places have ordered evacuations. Also, At least in Cumberland County, overnight curfews have been initiated. I'm not sure how much it's being enforced yet, but, it is.
There was a news release here this morning that the governor is sending Michigan State Police troopers to Philadelphia to stage for operations with the hurricane .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks