• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires

timberrrrrr

Hey folks

I am about to purchase tires for my M1078. Currently I have a set of Michelin XML tires on the truck.

Most of the driving this truck will see is on the highway, due to it being an Expedition Camper. However it will see its share of off road use.

The goal is to make the truck as quiet and smooth driving as possible.

I am debating what tires to purchase and was hoping for some help. It would appear that the choice is between the Michelin XZL and the Goodyear MVT tires.

Thoughts?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run the goodyears on my 5 ton and have been very happy with them on highway and off road on simple dirt roads. Seems also they are more abundant and cheaper. I am just skeptical of the Michelin as the xl and xml have had bad rap for blowouts, sidewall cracking and not holding up. XZL do not have the same reputation but I am disappointed that someone like Michelin put garbage out there for a while...... YMMV

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
On a 5 ton i saw around 40,000 miles of loaded driving on the 395 XZL's at 65mph. The XML's are just too soft and get eaten up easily on the road or on rocks. The MVTs do chop out pretty good on the front after road driving alot but as long as you keep em rotated they should be fine.

We carry 14.00-20 Michelin XZL's that are new. 2008 to 2011 date codes. You will get more speed out of your LMTV by about 6 to 8mph by using the 14.00-20. They are getting harder to find but we have lots of new ones. Basically if you want more speed this is a substitute for the high speed gears. Plus they are rated for more weight than the MVT 395's so you should get longer wear use out of them.

timberrrrrr

Thank you for the replies.

This truck is being built out with a 7' tall camper on the back so I am concerned about going any taller with the tires, don't want to encourage the truck to roll.

I do have a set of high speed pumpkins to replace in my axles, which will take care of speed issues. Although it would be nice to get the extra speed without the axle swap.

timberrrrrr

I just did a little digging and downloaded the specs for the XZL and the MVT tires from Goodyear and Michelin

The XZL tires have a load J rating (12,300 pounds) This is impressive. Unfortunately their speed rating is only 55 mph.

The MVT tires have a load G rating (9,370 pounds). They have a speed rating of 81 mph.

It appears the MVT tires are also available in the same size in a heavy duty version with a load rating of 11,700 pounds and a speed rating of 68 mph

coachgeo

As you discovered in your data search... in present market the standard MVT tires found in many places is your best bet for OEM size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks