• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 reliabilty as daily work truck.

Beagleflyer

Hello guys,

Looking for words of advise on a 2004 M1083 that has been rebuilt Acela Truck in Montana, my question is relabilty as a daily work truck as a equipment service truck? Also how are parts availability for these rigs? Has anyone managed to modify the exhaust so it can be a top stack as I'll be working around it all day with it running? Thanks for all the info.

Cheers

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Parts are not as available as some would like. All engine parts are available from the CAT house but other stuff it going to be hard to come by. Most of the air brake system is standard commercial stuff. In the LMTV forum there is a sticky posting for the available aftermarket parts. Only about 1/4 of the parts on the truck are available from a commercial parts house like Napa/Carquest.

M939 series trucks have nearly every part on the truck available from a normal parts house.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it's not a 6x6 I have a 1078 in the classifieds for 15% of the cost of Acela's 4x4. No it hasn't been rebuilt from the ground up but it does have A/C, 95%+ tire tread and it's 15%, not 15% less, but 15% of the cost of an Acela. Why not buy one that's affordable and test it out before dropping that kind of coin on a truck you don't know is what you want? Shameless sales plug over.

Beagleflyer

Thanks Mkceon, you're totally correct on that. The deal is truck is going to be used as a mechanic's service truck and the one they have is all ready rigged out with service body, crane toolboxes etc ready to work.

sandcobra164

Simp, I don't disagree with you often but I've driven an M1089A1P2 powered by a C7 lift towing an M1085A1P2 and could run on the governor for most of the trip from Waycross, Ga to Albany, Ga.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simp, I don't disagree with you often but I've driven an M1089A1P2 powered by a C7 lift towing an M1085A1P2 and could run on the governor for most of the trip from Waycross, Ga to Albany, Ga.
If its got the 3126 it will hold its own, maybe at altitude. It wasn't specified if it was an A1 or not though.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mkceon, you're totally correct on that. The deal is truck is going to be used as a mechanic's service truck and the one they have is all ready rigged out with service body, crane toolboxes etc ready to work.
And that would put mine at probably 2% of the cost of the Acela.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I dont see why you cant extend the exhaust up somewhere high with a flapper on top. Need more info on the truck though. 04 is probably a 3126. 6x6 is 330hp. Does it have the higher speed gearing installed? What is actually done to the truck other than a fancy paint job? I saw he had some with modified dash boards. Looks neat but if you have an issue you have to go back to him for support. When properly maintained the trucks are generally reliable. 6x6 does eat up tires with road use.

snowtrac nome

I use mine as a daily driver and service truck all the roads I operate on are dirt. the awd and ctis can be necessary to get in to some of my work sites. after a year I have had no major problems with mine. I however have the electronic free 3116 it has served me well. if you are operating most of your time on gravel you cant pick a truck better for the job. If most of your time is spent on asphalt than you might want to consider something from the commercial side of the market, asphalt will eat those military tires up.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Acela's are actually rebuilt from the ground up so they've got more than just a nice paint job on them. They also come with a 1 year warranty so more than you'll get anywhere else. I just think they're a LOT of money when you don't have any experience with the vehicles and not sure what you're getting in to. I believe they have the option of highway gears but not sure if they automatically come with them.

Beagleflyer

Thanks for the first hand experance in the application I'll be using it for. I currently have a Freightliner M2 with Factory 4x4 and it spends 90% of its life off payment and it's time to replace it. Good to hear they're a good choice over commercial trucks.

Beagleflyer

Thanks for the reply, They are supposed to do a full rebuild on the trucks and replace any parts that are required along with updating creature comforts. The truck I'am looking at has the higher gearing installed with a C7 for power.

snowtrac nome

I'm no fan of electronic diesels but they do make me a lot of money I am quite happy with my 3116. that said I will take a c-7 over a 3126 any day as long as it doesn't have a dpf and scr on it. I imagine you are going to find the ride much better than the fruitliner, and top speed wont be much different as most of those awd conversions are geared pretty low anyway. I like the simplicity of the military configuration but adjustable seat backs would be a good upgrade.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
I'm no fan of electronic diesels but they do make me a lot of money I am quite happy with my 3116. that said I will take a c-7 over a 3126 any day as long as it doesn't have a dpf and scr on it. I imagine you are going to find the ride much better than the fruitliner, and top speed wont be much different as most of those awd conversions are geared pretty low anyway. I like the simplicity of the military configuration but adjustable seat backs would be a good upgrade.
Chrysler Pacifica center seats...

20180905_165003.jpg

Beagleflyer

Snowtrac, You're correct about mechanical engines being the best, along with keeping away from the after treatment system too. I have cat Et and sis so working on the engine will be no challenge and parts for it are readlity available at the local cat house here. Thanks for the great info about your truck and experance with these trucks.

mrjeffa

M1083a1, need help, have a battery tender on batteries, Temps are now in the 40 degree range, turned on switch next to green switch, says ether , I'm assuming glow plug heater, starter only Pulsates but does not start. What am I doing wrong. Was trying to start to move indoors. Please help.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks