• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does my deuce sound right to you? Audio inside.

TexAndy

So I went to fire up my whistler deuce yesterday and engine tried to run away. Put it in 5th and dumped clutch. I panicked for a second because it was such a surprise and the fuel cutoff didn't do anything so it took me a second to engage my brain and put it in 5th and dump the clutch. Truck rolled forward a few feet and died.

Sure enough, fuel shutoff lever was stuck. so I took it out, soaked it in gasoline, then worked it enough while dipping it in gas to completely free it. didn't have to take it apart.

Reinstalled in truck and after cranking a bit to build prime again, she fires up and idles. But... now it sounds not normal to me. I'm not a diesel mechanic, so I'm seeking other opinions.

https://youtu.be/Qj2wnG10vVU

What do you guys think? Did I stupid my multi-fuel to death? Starting to feel a bit sick to my stomach over this.

TGP (IL)

Sounds Wounded to me.
Intake valve and down on a cylinder.
But that's a guess, not being there in person. I can't hear videos very well
Maybe someone else will have better news.
Tom

TexAndy

Sounds Wounded to me.
Intake valve and down on a cylinder.
But that's a guess, not being there in person. I can't hear videos very well
Maybe someone else will have better news.
Tom
Thanks. What do you think of the possibility of stuck injector? I hadn't run it in a few months, which was what caused this whole thing. Would a couple of bottles of seafoam in the tank be advisable?

sandcobra164

The audio sounds like a dead cylinder to me. Not sure if injector or valve related. Do you have an infrared temperature meter? With the truck running, beam each cylinder at the exhaust manifold to see if one is significantly colder than the others. You'll find the cylinder that is not on board and narrow it down from there. Internal combustion engines regardless of firing method need 4 things to operate. Air, Compression, Fuel and an ignition source. For diesels the heat of compression is the ignition source, gasoline engines need a sparkplug.

TexAndy

The audio sounds like a dead cylinder to me. Not sure if injector or valve related. Do you have an infrared temperature meter? With the truck running, beam each cylinder at the exhaust manifold to see if one is significantly colder than the others. You'll find the cylinder that is not on board and narrow it down from there. Internal combustion engines regardless of firing method need 4 things to operate. Air, Compression, Fuel and an ignition source. For diesels the heat of compression is the ignition source, gasoline engines need a sparkplug.
I've got an infrared kitchen thermometer. Will idle it and check exhaust manifold for each cylinder.

Question... am I running the risk of damaging the engine idling it for this kind of test?

rustystud

I've got an infrared kitchen thermometer. Will idle it and check exhaust manifold for each cylinder.

Question... am I running the risk of damaging the engine idling it for this kind of test?
At idle you will not hurt anything. Since you had a stuck fuel lever you might just have gummed up injectors too. Before you panic and tear into the engine, go ahead and pop test all the injectors. If they are all OK, then you can start to panic ! (just kidding, don't panic) . There are things to check for before you really need to panic or get worried.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you hold a screwdriver handle to your ear and touch the tip to each injector, you might be able to tell which one isn't firing.

dmetalmiki

With the engine running just loosen one injector pipe at a time, and you will immediately know which cylinders are not firing.
At that time check if the ones you loosen are in fact squirting, or the fault lies elsewhere.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder if taking an injector loose is the best thing. If the fitting on the end does not spin like it is designed to do it could damage it and require a replacement. As Chris said it is very easy to tell if and injector is not popping the same as others as they have a distinctive sound when correct. The other as said with measure heat on the exhaust manifold is another.

rustystud

Wonder if taking an injector loose is the best thing. If the fitting on the end does not spin like it is designed to do it could damage it and require a replacement. As Chris said it is very easy to tell if and injector is not popping the same as others as they have a distinctive sound when correct. The other as said with measure heat on the exhaust manifold is another.

I agree. You can get hurt pretty easy if you don't know what your doing loosening injector lines.

dmetalmiki

Hydraulic pressure in this case 'collapses' immediately when there is a leak. (as) you can not compress oil.
(and) over the (many) years we have checked everything and anything.

rustystud

Hydraulic pressure in this case 'collapses' immediately when there is a leak. (as) you can not compress oil.
(and) over the (many) years we have checked everything and anything.
You've never seen injector lines squirt out before ? I've seen guys get injected and have to go to the hospital due to playing with injector lines improperly. There is a proper way to do it, and it works real well to detect a faulty cylinder. The problem here is trying to describe the procedure so no one gets hurt.

dmetalmiki

Doing the check rusty's way is the correct way. (never mind we did/do) it.
Beware, (Especially on a test rig) Because, YES, a firing injector WILL 'squirt' clear through a hand. Or.. fill it with diesel.
On reflection..'there's ways and there's ways. BE SAFE.

TexAndy

Ran it for diesel mechanic friend. He said he thinks it might be a stuck valve.

That cyclical noise is puffs of air coming out of the intake. Which I guess makes sense if it's a stuck intake valve?

His recommendation was to pull the valve cover. So when he's back here next time, we'll give that a try.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks