• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie from KY

Asian persuasion

Picked up a 68 m35a2 about 4 days ago. Not really sure the route I want to go with it as it’s my first deuce I’ve ever been in much less owned. Needs brake work but runs and drives. Brake cylinders are leaking but have some on the way. Drivers side window is cracked but both sides roll up and down with some loving. Sprayed them both down with some seafoam deep penetrant. Passenger door bottom hinge is missing a couple screws. Going to have to clean up and tap the threads. Currently has a soft top and the windows and soft time don’t line up wel at all. Good sized gaps between the top and windows when rolled up. Is that normal? I definitely want to get rid of any split ring wheels and get some 1 piece wheels. Any advise will be much appreciated! Oh and one more thing the guy that had it before me said he increased the fuel a bit and installed an egt gauge. I fried the gauge when I pressure washed the junk out of the truck as it has been neglected for some time. When you let off the throttle it stumbles a bit but never dies. Egt’s would go up to around 900 before I got the gauge wet.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Asian sounds like you got a decent starting point, I wouldnt be so hasty to discard the original wheels on the Deuce, lots of tire shops still work on them and they are strong and reliable. Singles are great depending on what your doing with your truck but obviously they make a spare extremely necessary also. Wheel cylinders are a cake walk and while you in there I would certainly check a few bearings to make sure all the grease has not melted out of them. I did this on a Deuce one time and all the grease had melted down to the bottom half of the bearing leaving the top of the bearing and race unprotected, they were pitted and had to be replaced, i you find this make sure to plan a FULL day to get this job done. When replacing the wheel cylinders make POSITIVE you know what your needing to put back in your truck for brake fluid, is it DOT 3 or DOT 5 you do need to be positive, the two DO NOT MIX WELL! Good luck Asian we also like to see pics of your progress and you are going to want to get a set of TMs for this truck, they sound boring but you will grow to love them!
Karl

Asian persuasion

Thanks for the advice! I’m hoping the bearing are good to go. I planned on packing new grease while I was in there anyway. Thing is soaking up all my money already lol. I did notice the front passenger side tire has a bit more wear on the outside than the inside. Have no idea where to start on that one. Having a very difficult time finding any shops around to work on the tires. Sadly most of the shops don’t even know what the truck is.

Asian persuasion

I let the wife talk me into a dumb iPhone. It won’t let me post or even look at pictures. As soon as I can get it figured out pics will be posted! I’m located about 2 hours south of Louisville at the tn ky border by bowling green

Asian persuasion

Engine runs great. Going to flush the transmission a few times to make sure any and all old funk is out but it drives fine. I’ll be fine with the tires that I have on it for a while but what to replace them soon as I can. Just not sure what to go back with. Needs to have some panels lined back up and some tlc on the doors but over all it’s not in bad shape. I’m afraid I’m gonna have to pull the drivers side window regulator out. I’ve heard that’s a real pain.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from Nevada. Get the TMs for your truck. They will make the work you do on your truck easier.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks