• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-114

sgtpeter

Hi All - I know of a M-114 . The vehicle itself is pretty complete but will need work and is located in the Tacoma, WA area. The engine hatch will need replacement but I believe the rest of the hatches are in place and serviceable. Take a look at these photos:

IMG_20180912_183920903.jpgIMG_20180912_183936435.jpgIMG_20180912_184001584.jpgIMG_20180912_184020243.jpgIMG_20180912_184105735.jpgIMG_20180912_184120440.jpgIMG_20180912_184149816.jpgIMG_20180912_184201567.jpg

I will get photos of the engine compartment next week. In addition to the vehicle, there are also two cross drive units which I will get photographed next week as well.

Any thoughts on value?

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

sgtpeter

I would not say that it was on 'display', its more like it has been parked there for years. We are checking into the ownership and believe that there will be no strings attached. I should know more next week.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"No Strings Attached" ?!?!?

Unless you can obtain DOCUMENTATION that Uncle Sam has released this APC from HIS TOY BOX I would be VERY WARY as it may be a FEDERAL CRIME to extract it from it's current location without proper authorization.

Jus' sayin'.

This is NOT a task to be left to amateurs, nor to be processed based solely upon assumptions of it being OK.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Also it could have gone though several hands BUT that DOES NOT mean that uncle Sam still dose not own it.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could be wrong, but I'd say the 8' fence with wire atop, and missles in the background, might just be a red flag.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could be wrong, but I'd say the 8' fence with wire atop, and missles in the background, might just be a red flag.
What? Everyone doesn't have that for their MV storage? Not saying it couldn't be in private hands, but like others have said, I'd make DARN SURE that the paper trail ended in the right place, confirmed. If she's private, good luck and keep us informed. If she isn't? yeah, well...........................let's not even go there.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I wouldn't dream too hard.

About 12 years ago a friend of mine embarked on a mission to save an M114 from a firing range. It had been shot to heck and back with 50cal, 20MM and even larger and the TC hatch was missing, one of the tracks blown off, engine partly disassembled....and so on and so on and Scooby Dooby Doo. Your typical basket case.

My friend started at the local military installation and it quickly escalated to the Pentagon level with one of our Senators and a Representative involved.

Long story short, it took about 8 months of frustrating red tape to get a piece of "range residue" released....which is kind of funny because the military facility PAYS a large local scrapper to haul the stuff off and dispose of it....but that's different.:whistle:

I highly doubt that would ever be possible again.

SO.... before I would consider even trying to buy that one, I would need copies of release documents/authorizations from Uncle Sam, the Military, the Space Force, Donald Trump, AND the local ice cream truck man.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so I'm seeing a consensus here....

We are no longer anticipating a recovery and resurrection thread to be spawned from this APC sighting, but instead are about to embark on a potentially well documented and true HORROR STORY.

Stephen King: Be jealous!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so I'm seeing a consensus here....

We are no longer anticipating a recovery and resurrection thread to be spawned from this APC sighting, but instead are about to embark on a potentially well documented and true HORROR STORY.

Stephen King: Be jealous!
It doesn't look like it will be in the classifieds anytime soon.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come on guys, I’m sure it’s legit. My cousin knows a guy who knows a guy who was in the Army once for a few weeks, and he says it’s just sitting there, nobody is using it so he’ll sell it for a good price.

Guyfang

Staff member
There are ways to get it. By the picture of it sitting in front of Ft Murry, ( nice place) it probably belongs the the government. If its determined to be excess, it will go to DRMO. That makes it easyer to get at.

Another way is for a museum, or National Guard unit, or an orginzation like that, can request that it be released to them. I had contact last year with a lady in TACOM, whose job entails doing just that. Controlling, issuing and receiving "Gate Guards". None of this means it will be easy. City's and towns can also do this. But I know it's not simple. I think it would nice to hear a bit more of "the rest of the story".

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m TDY in WA, just down the road from Camp Murray. If the 114 is there and the OP hasn’t jumped on it yet, maybe I can get a crack at it and drive it home to KS. Has anyone ever done a 1900 mile recovery in a tracked vehicle? What kind of tools should I pack? I think the first step will be to wire it with 12v to charge my cell phone.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m TDY in WA, just down the road from Camp Murray. If the 114 is there and the OP hasn’t jumped on it yet, maybe I can get a crack at it and drive it home to KS. Has anyone ever done a 1900 mile recovery in a tracked vehicle? What kind of tools should I pack? I think the first step will be to wire it with 12v to charge my cell phone.
Yep , got to add high wide tracks to it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks