• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 fuse box connection

cmp truck

Hello,
A few months ago I posted regarding a problem and someone suggested posting some photos, so here goes.
I removed the wiring harnesses from the fuse box connection on the firewall side. A bolt is located in the middle of three harness sections that holds the harness onto the fuse box connectors. There is also a threaded retainer with three prongs that the bolt threads into.
Now, I cannot remember where to place that retainer. It does not look like it is placed on the firewall side of the fusebox.
Here are three photos: one of the harness with bolt, the fusebox connectors with the hole for the bolt showing and the threaded retainer with the three prongs.
Anyone know if that retainer goes on the firewall side or on the inside of the cab?
Thanks in advance.
Ian
VA6SSVP_20180912_152904_vHDR_Auto.jpgP_20180912_152918_vHDR_Auto.jpgP_20180912_152931_vHDR_Auto.jpg

cucvrus

I never seen anything like that when I disconnected the bulkhead connector. That looks like the crown of a drilled out rivet head. I would just screw the fuse box back under the dash to the firewall and then attach the under hood connection. Tighten the set bolt and call it a day. I had many of these trucks stripped out and have never had anything like that come into play at the bulkhead connection. Good Luck.

83k30

I had mine apart recently and it did not have any retainer on it.

ON A SIDE NOTE:
Anyone know what will clean that old black grease out from the bulkhead connector?? Tried dish soap/water and break cleaner with a toothbrush with no noticeable improvements

Last edited:

cmp truck

Thanks for the replies.
The fusebox was already attached to the inside of the cab. So the issue is when the bulkhead connector is plugged into the fuse box, there is nothing for the bolt to screw into.
I will continue on and post when I solve it.
By the way, this truck is US manufacture and purchased for and used by the Canadian Army Reserves. There are no differences between the US and Canadian trucks except for the cargo compartment tarp tie down method and the fact that undercoating was applied to all surfaces except the external sheet metal.
Ian

83k30

I will get some pictures in the morning of mine and check to see what the bolt is threaded into.

Going to try the dx330 wax and grease remover and post results.

Gunfreak25

I think it goes on the firewall part. My M1009 has a retainer on the bolt that secures the two halves together. The bolt does not come out of the firewall due to the retainer.

83k30

Having a hard time getting pics to upload at the moment but the bolt is captured by the engine wiring harness plug and is threaded into a fixed nut on the fuse block that appears to be missing in your photos.

The wax and grease remover worked great on the firewall plug btw. Disconnected my batteries and applied light scrubbing via an old toothbrush. Dash lights are now visibly brighter, thanks for the tip cucvrus

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks