• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison ht 754 fluid type ?How to get rid of air coolant ntc 400

akita91

Good nite here,what type of fluid should i use in my 1983 am915a1 allison ht754,ive seen transynd tes295 for $45 gal and read online that i can use any c4 approved diesel oil 15w 40.is there any certain answer on that ?thanks
PS. drained radiator and 2 drain petcocks ,manual says 17.25gal ,so far i have 8.5 gal antifreeze and 4.5 of water.im short 4.5 gals of water.radiator is full .is there any air bleeders or should i just run engine for awhile and wait for it to bleed itself.
?
thankksss:p

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just use dextran 3 on the transmission.

There is a petcock bleeder on top of the motor just behind the upper radiator hose. You can just leave the truck running for a bit and itll work it's way out

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had and still have trucks with engine oil and I am not worried about it. When my transmission needs rebuilding if ever then I will switch out but not use Transynd as my truck will never see great high mileage. Transynd is a great product and good for Allison's that see lots of miles and need more miles before fluid changes as they could get very expensive. From what I read if it shows to change out every 100k miles then with Transynd we extend that to 300k so we save money if you had a shop do it. We had a thread where the Allison fluid engineer that said engine oil was approved for the conditions of military use. From what I got from reading the engine oil will take more heat than a thinner oil. In some military conditions the truck might see heavy loads, slow ground speed and high rpm off road that will heat up a Allison fast.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only problem I see is you will use a lot of any fluid that you try and change out yourself. I believe the Allison shop has a machine that can change out all the fluid without mixing it. The problem is the torque converter and cooler lines. Seems like reading the people that try do a dump and fill then come back and change out again. That will cost you money if your trying to get all the engine oil out of the system and you might always have a mixture. If I remember the old Chrysler / Plymouth trans. had a plate you could drop and drain the torque converter. That was the best way of getting a good change out of fluid.

akita91

but they will charge me 200 bucks to change it ,isnt it the same ?and those guys always busy,tried to book 2 shops for complete investigation on this truck,both screwed me on date,brought in truck and 2 days later picked up still didnt do anything.so im kinda meh with shops.other idea ive read is to push compressed air thru cooler lines after drain,is there any danger to blow something ,lets say 10-50psi ?so i dont do double dump

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please, use caps and spacing between your sentences, it makes it a whole lot easier to read things....especially for us older dudes! Please update your location from your zip to a city.

Use your favorite flavor of engine oil, 15w40 is the proper wt. Myself, I like Valvoline. It doesn't get as dirty black as Dello or Rotella does.

akita91

Okay Sir.
Circled 10 mile trip. , Engine Temp didnt go past 150-160F .Does it need to raise up to 180-200 to open thermostat which will release trapped air ?
Idled for awhile ,temp stayed 150 and didnt budge either.
Im still short of 4.5 g of water.but cant understand where it should go. :whistle: maxresdefault.jpg

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stat SHOULD be a 180, the gauge might be off a bit. I do not remember if the NHC has a deairation line routed to the surge tank. I can look when I go to "work" next Tuesday. The line should start at the stat housing before the stat and go to the surge tank, there is always a positive flow thru that line. It should be no bigger id than 3/8 inch, no check valve in it. Hang till tues and i'll look. Make sure the heater valves are open if you have one.

No Sir, just Will, Hey you, any thing except late for dinner!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The stat SHOULD be a 180, the gauge might be off a bit. I do not remember if the NHC has a deairation line routed to the surge tank. I can look when I go to "work" next Tuesday. The line should start at the stat housing before the stat and go to the surge tank, there is always a positive flow thru that line. It should be no bigger id than 3/8 inch, no check valve in it. Hang till tues and i'll look. Make sure the heater valves are open if you have one.

No Sir, just Will, Hey you, any thing except late for dinner!
NTC400s in the 915s don't have a surge tank. It is radiator filled and an overflow tank. The line on the top you describe goes to the top of the radiator on the drivers side. It is right next to a bleeder valve

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, thought I read 923. That is the vent line. Simp, did you roll your truck ;)? akita91, if your engine doesn't have it, you need to put one in.

akita91

I have that line hooked up same way between rad and thermostat.Did another 20 mile trip highway.temp didnt go past 160 or so.came back opened petcocks ,no bubbles just fluid coming out.

akita91

What are signs of bad water pump?im assuming it could be it as coolant stays still when engine running.i feel scorching heat off engine but gauge only 160f
Or i have to run it longer up to 180 to open thermo,i think 10 miles of highway is enough to raise to operating temp

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What are signs of bad water pump?im assuming it could be it as coolant stays still when engine running.i feel scorching heat off engine but gauge only 160f
Or i have to run it longer up to 180 to open thermo,i think 10 miles of highway is enough to raise to operating temp
Verify temps with an IR temp gun. Never trust your gauge. Your fan is probably running all the time and it will never get to temp anyway with that going. The fan is big enough to be a propeller for a Cessna.

akita91

fan stopped at some point and turned back.im assuming i didnt drained completely and those 4.5 gallons are inside
But i flushed every petcock with 2 other being closed with tap water until its clean and bottom radiator opened as last point to drain completely then filled out.
Where i could miss something if i followed guide.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know on my 920 and 915A1 that big radiator kept things cool and if I remember both ran cold. Takes a lot of heavy pulling to heat things up as I could even flat tow a 5 ton 817 and still not heat the 920 up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks