• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltmeter Wiring Help

shiner13

I've searched through all the threads on this site and on the interweb, but could still use some help on the best way to wire in a new dual digital voltmeter like the one pictured below.

I know it is a cheap part, but giving it a try as I'd like to mount a tach in the old spot for the original voltmeter (that wasn't working). I've got a backup ISSPRO 24V unit and all the threads on here to install it if I have any issues.

TechnoWeenie is the only one who I've seen installed the same VM. He tied into the original 24V wire lead from the old VM and ran 12V from the ignition wire. As I understand it, this will give me the 12V reading from the front battery and the 24V combined reading. This sounds good to me, but also wanted to know:

1) What gauge wire should I use?
2) Can I use the negative lead from the old VM wiring too? -OR-
3) Should I just run a shared negative lead to ground somewhere on the frame?

Electrical is my weakest knowledge, so wondering how I should install to get the most accurate reading with this setup.

I appreciate any ideas/help!

61Mxv8h0tWL._SL1000_.jpgIMG_0818.jpgIMG_0819.jpg

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use a piece of #18 gauge wire for monitoring the 12 volt side. Putting a fuse inline near the 12 volt source is highly recommended.

You can use the same wires from the 24 volt meter. The ground is the same for both sides of the electrical system. The new meter(s) will come on and off with the key since the 24 volt meter has an external relay in the circuit that switches the ground.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I came across this voltmeter myself and was thinking of using it in conjunction with the 24v meter to look at the voltages of the two batteries independently

shiner13

I would use a piece of #18 gauge wire for monitoring the 12 volt side. Putting a fuse inline near the 12 volt source is highly recommended.

You can use the same wires from the 24 volt meter. The ground is the same for both sides of the electrical system. The new meter(s) will come on and off with the key since the 24 volt meter has an external relay in the circuit that switches the ground.
Thanks a lot. Exactly what I needed to know.

sandsock

I did something similar with a red led voltmeter that also had usb charger ports. I didn't think about replacing the original with a small tach, so that is pretty brilliant. Which one did you or are you thinking about using there?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks