• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grinding sound when brakes applied right rear area humvee

RichDane

In my quest to bring this vehicle up to standards, along with many other changes, I have recently replace all half-shafts. I began to hear somewhat of a grinding sound when I applied the brakes and not really inspecting the pads, when I did the axles, and not knowing if I possibly knocked any one of the brake pads out of position, I checked everything and replaced the pads even though the pads were in nice shape....issue is, I still have a grinding noise when, and only when, I apply the brakes an only get that grinding noise from the right rear of the m998. Any suggestions on the cause of this noise? Everything is tight and seems ok, Rotor seem straight and not warped...I can't figure it out!!! I am open to suggestions.

Thank you

RichDane

snowtrac nome

If the linings, or lack there of are causing the problem you will see the evidence on the rotors. other things cold be fasteners that you used could be too long or a bolt coming out because it didn't tighten down right. the first thing to do is crawl back under it and inspect all what you did the grinding should have left evidence

RichDane

If the linings, or lack there of are causing the problem you will see the evidence on the rotors. other things cold be fasteners that you used could be too long or a bolt coming out because it didn't tighten down right. the first thing to do is crawl back under it and inspect all what you did the grinding should have left evidence
It was grinding before the pad replacement, I used the same bolts and torque to specs for the half-shafts replacement. I have a feeling I will be underneath a lot more here. the grinding drives me crazy Thanks

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was grinding before the pad replacement, I used the same bolts and torque to specs for the half-shafts replacement. I have a feeling I will be underneath a lot more here. the grinding drives me crazy Thanks

Im assuming you used new lock washers or Nordlocks? That an red locktite...
this is all a MUST.
check that 5/8 bolts have not backed out of your diff hangar bracket as well.

RichDane

Im assuming you used new lock washers or Nordlocks? That an red locktite...
this is all a MUST.
check that 5/8 bolts have not backed out of your diff hangar bracket as well.
Yes Sir, I was under it this morning, My Caliper maybe the culprit, not sure that it is moving as freely as the other....I will pull it off and inspect....to answer your question absolutely, new everything, With red locktite

94M998A1

Yes Sir, I was under it this morning, My Caliper maybe the culprit, not sure that it is moving as freely as the other....I will pull it off and inspect....to answer your question absolutely, new everything, With red locktite
I am having this same issue except with the driver side rear after installing a new halfshaft, what did you find the issue was? I am putting mine on a lift tomorrow

94M998A1

Was it the caliper? I put the old halfshaft back in and it still makes the noise. I found my caliper wasn’t moving as smoothly as the otherside but the rotor almost looks like it’s not being used. Going to take my caliper off this Sunday.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was it the caliper? I put the old halfshaft back in and it still makes the noise. I found my caliper wasn’t moving as smoothly as the otherside but the rotor almost looks like it’s not being used. Going to take my caliper off this Sunday.
With that description I'd remove and clean/rebuild the caliper piston assembly. Probably needs a new seal after cleaning gunk out.

BDGR

94M998A1

With that description I'd remove and clean/rebuild the caliper piston assembly. Probably needs a new seal after cleaning gunk out.

BDGR
So you don’t think just re-greasing the pins would work? Can I get a rebuild kit at a Napa or autozone type parts shop?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks