• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grinding sound when brakes applied right rear area humvee

Dock Rocker

The caliper with the emergency brake cable set up is made by amg and not available aftermarket nor the rebuild kit to my knowledge. Only through authorized amg dealers or surplus.
Kascar and HPG have them. I had the pleasure of buying one a few months ago. It hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is not a civy item for a rebuild kit. Caliper or seal kit are amg mil items.
I think Juan means the rebuild kit is particular to military brakes only. The brake pads and rotors for a 1984 AMC Eagle wagon fit the Hmmwv because that's what they started with, but if I understand the evolution of the M998 brakes they had to improve them and so the calipers departed from being a repurposed civilian item.

I welcome more knowledgeable folks to chime in.

Bulldogger

teteacher101

I think Juan means the rebuild kit is particular to military brakes only. The brake pads and rotors for a 1984 AMC Eagle wagon fit the Hmmwv because that's what they started with, but if I understand the evolution of the M998 brakes they had to improve them and so the calipers departed from being a repurposed civilian item.

I welcome more knowledgeable folks to chime in.

Bulldogger
Aren't the bolt patterns different on the rotors though? HMMWV's use 6 holes and I thought the AMC Eagle has 5 holes?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I stand corrected; the front rotors for an Eagle are indeed 5 bolt, not 6 like on a HMMWV. I had heard somewhere they were the same, but clearly they are not.
I’m glad I bought the recommended pads from Hummer Knowledge Base, and not AMC Eagles.

Dock Rocker

And I stand corrected; the front rotors for an Eagle are indeed 5 bolt, not 6 like on a HMMWV. I had heard somewhere they were the same, but clearly they are not.
I’m glad I bought the recommended pads from Hummer Knowledge Base, and not AMC Eagles.
I believe the calipers are the same as the AMG.

94M998A1

How common is it for the rear brakes to get jammed up and make a grinding noise? And how often was it just the brake pins needing grease?

Dock Rocker

How common is it for the rear brakes to get jammed up and make a grinding noise? And how often was it just the brake pins needing grease?
If the rears are making a grinding noise it’s probably going to be expensive.

Take it for a short dive and see if one of the rotors is hotter than the others. I use a laser temp gun for this but you can use your fingers but it could hurt.

Greasing the pins will kit likely result in a fix but worth a try.

Most likely you have one of two things going on. You most likely have a caliper going bad. It will be much hotter than the others. That’s the most expensive fix but by far the easiest and least time consuming.

The other likely culprit is the emergency brake cable crapping out and getting stuck in the sheath. It’s a cheaper fix but a giant pain in the butt to change.

Either way you will need to change the rotor in the corner that’s been dragging and the pads on both sides. You never change just one set of pads.

94M998A1

The noise is instantly without touching the brakes now. It started off when I would touch the brakes but now it’s constant noise

Dock Rocker

The noise is instantly without touching the brakes now. It started off when I would touch the brakes but now it’s constant noise
Drive it and measure the temp on each rotor. That will tell you if you have a problem caliper.

teteacher101

How hard is it to bleed the brakes on these trucks?
Block the front wheels, put the T Case an tranny in neutral, jack the rear end up an try spinning the rear wheels by hand or have someone spin a wheel by hand to see if you can get any noise out of it that way an pinpoint it. These **** things make so much noise running an driving it can be hard to pinpoint. Worth a shot, will only take a few minutes.

Bleeding brakes on thses is really easy. Just need someone to pump the brakes for ya. :)

RichDane

Sorry, I have been away from this for a while...Thanks 94m998A1.....For me after changing everything out, trying to find the problem...I took off the new Half shafts I put on and put the old one back on (There was nothing really wrong with the old ones but I thought I should replace anyway) TAAAAADAAAAAA those new ones were the issue.....Don't really know why they were grinding but if you replaced your half shafts and you are now grinding/....Guaranteed, in more times than not, your "New" probably Chinese made Half shafts are to blame...Just saying

94M998A1

I took my new halfshaft off and put a old halfshaft back in and it still makes the noise from the same side. So I think it’s the caliper

teteacher101, I plan on doing that today before taking the caliper off

papakb

Unless you have the upgraded Wildwood calipers the originals are '87 Eagle calipers and cost about $18 at most auto parts stores, no cores necessary. Just replace them, it's less trouble than trying top rebuild them.

Dock Rocker

Unless you have the upgraded Wildwood calipers the originals are '87 Eagle calipers and cost about $18 at most auto parts stores, no cores necessary. Just replace them, it's less trouble than trying top rebuild them.
Those don’t work on the rear. The rears are proprietary with the integrated e-brake.

94M998A1

So I put it on my dads lift jacked up the side that was making noise and spun the tire, it seemed rough turning. Kept seeing weird things coming out of the brake/rotor, dirt or something. Dad turned the driveshaft and then I noticed the rotor and halfshaft we’re trying to move up and down before they rotated so I think I got something wrong with my rearend. Taking it to a rearend shop either this week or next

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to info sent me by another SS member, and my own recollections, I'm in agreement with papkb and DockRocker, the calipers on front are carried over from the AMC Eagle, but as noted the rear are improved to gain the better parking brake.

Someone needing front calipers can replace them easily, if it's easy to get Eagle calipers anymore! I haven't looked.

Hope you get it sorted!

BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks