• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grinding sound when brakes applied right rear area humvee

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I put it on my dads lift jacked up the side that was making noise and spun the tire, it seemed rough turning. Kept seeing weird things coming out of the brake/rotor, dirt or something. Dad turned the driveshaft and then I noticed the rotor and halfshaft we’re trying to move up and down before they rotated so I think I got something wrong with my rearend. Taking it to a rearend shop either this week or next
Woof! That does sound bad. I hope it's something readily repairable. Please keep us posted. Some pictures after those parts come off would be interesting too.

BDGR

Dock Rocker

If it is the chunk it would be cheaper to just buy a new NOS chunk of the same ratio and drop it in.

It’s expensive to rebuild on if it really is hurt. It’s much easier to R&R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skybound

Sorry, I have been away from this for a while...Thanks 94m998A1.....For me after changing everything out, trying to find the problem...I took off the new Half shafts I put on and put the old one back on (There was nothing really wrong with the old ones but I thought I should replace anyway) TAAAAADAAAAAA those new ones were the issue.....Don't really know why they were grinding but if you replaced your half shafts and you are now grinding/....Guaranteed, in more times than not, your "New" probably Chinese made Half shafts are to blame...Just saying
Rich, thanks for this I am having the same issue and just replaced the shafts. Did you happen to buy them from Wolfer parts on eBay?

94M998A1

So I got rid of the aftermarket shaft I bought and put in an OEM one and the noise has gone away. Don’t by eBay shafts, buy shafts that are painted all flat black even the clamps on the boots.

RichDane

Rich, thanks for this I am having the same issue and just replaced the shafts. Did you happen to buy them from Wolfer parts on eBay?
Yes sir, I believe that is correct...I could n't believe the new ones did this but after I put the old ones back on, problem resolved.....you wanta buy two slightly used rear half shalfs??? :) (Kidding) I did use the fronts with no issue but I can't say the same for the rear half shafts....I looked at them after I took them off and could not see where the issue was unless it was inside the boot....I will just keep them in case I twist or break one down the road I guess....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks