• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Front Bumper Tow Bar Mount (again)

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 741430View attachment 741431View attachment 741432View attachment 741433View attachment 741434View attachment 741435View attachment 741436View attachment 741437 There are quite a few posts in the archives on this subject, and I read through quite a few of them, and watched a few You Tube vids as well, before coming up with this idea. As with others who posted on the subject of front bumper tow bar mounts, one of my main reasons was to get the 100+ pound tow bar out of the bed of my truck, and safely secured. To go with the tow bar, I purchased a set of tow bar axle clamps, along with a pair of feet just in case I, or a friend, needed a tow. The problem was where do I keep a large heavy set of tow bar axle clamps. My tool box is filled with essentials, that are orderly stored away, leaving me with a little room for the feet, but no room for something the size and weight of the axle clamps. So I started looking at my shackle mounts and thought, gee, could I take my shackles off, and mount the axle clamps there instead, and if they fit, could I mount the tow bar to the axle clamps as well. So I checked to see if the axle clamps would fit on the shackle mounts, and they did, the pin and all. I wanted to keep my front shackles, so I mounted them to the bottom side of the bumper like a M35A3, this also gave me a place where I could still hang my winch chain. Having a titanium plate in my lower back, and a steel plate in my neck, having the tow bar mounted waist high would allow me to undo the tow bar, and mount it to the truck without too much bending over on my part. Also once the tow bar is tightened down it becomes one unit, (pic 6) and can be swung into the up position, allowing me to use my winch. All the parts used here are GI, and don't require modification that would prevent them from being used for their original intended purpose. The only non GI parts I used, are the rubber bumpers, (pic 7) I added them to the front bumper with JB Weld. The bumpers are made of hard auto tire grade rubber, and keep the axle clamp from banging against the bumper. Also the 4 long bolts that are common to the upper and lower shackle brackets should be replaced with longer 11in. grade 8 fine thread bolts. Got mine from Fastenal. The last picture is of the axle clamp chain excess tie wrapped to the rest of the chain so it can be used again as a tow bar axle clamp. So if you have a tow bar and a set of tow bar axle clamps laying around, you can easily do this. I think Floridianson has a set of tow bar clamps for sale at a much better price than what I paid for mine. I have a 780mi. round trip coming up on the 17th for the Tower Park Gathering, so we'll see how it works out on a long distance trip. I sincerely apologize for the lack of paragraphs in this post, as I'm somewhat of a computer illiterate old fart.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is an innovative use of the axle clamps. Looks good. Some might argue that the front axle weight on w/w trucks is maxed out, even without the heavy tow bar at the foremost point of the truck.

I experimented with a front mount too for a while but have brackets on the front of the bed now.
People were successful putting the tow bar underneath the bed across the frame.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is an innovative use of the axle clamps. Looks good. Some might argue that the front axle weight on w/w trucks is maxed out, even without the heavy tow bar at the foremost point of the truck.

I experimented with a front mount too for a while but have brackets on the front of the bed now.
People were successful putting the tow bar underneath the bed across the frame.
Thanks cattlerepairman, in the archives there were some who mentioned that max weight was reached with the tow bar and winch, others didn't think it was a problem. I don't plan on going past that max weight. But I will be keeping an eye out for anything that looks or sounds out of the ordinary. Tire wear etc. I'll be due for tires in the spring and I'm looking to go with 11X20 tires. I have been told the 5 ton tires will do a better job of supporting any extra weight, as I was looking at adding a M280 shelter. Some of the other options for mounting the tow bar, made my using the tow bar more difficult due to my physical limitations.

rustystud

That is a very cool idea !!!!
I too have a rod up my back and an artificial knee and the other one needs to be. So I know all about proper placement of items that are heavy. I have also wrestled with many different places to install my tow-bar. This looks like the best option for me too.
Thanks for a great idea and a job well done !

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats cool, I have been looking to stow my tow bar on the front of my truck as well, and already have axle clamps.

My question is how do you get it hung there initially, looks like it could be a bear?

In your research have you seen anyone mount the tow bar, ready to use, then pivot it strait up vertical, and devise something to hold it there? I would think that may help for your and Rusty’s physical limitations, if you can get past the distraction of looking past it while driving? I try to keep my 2” receiver pintle on my truck as well, just in case you need a pickup truck to pull you a short distance to a safe spot.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats cool, I have been looking to stow my tow bar on the front of my truck as well, and already have axle clamps.

My question is how do you get it hung there initially, looks like it could be a bear?

In your research have you seen anyone mount the tow bar, ready to use, then pivot it strait up vertical, and devise something to hold it there? I would think that may help for your and Rusty’s physical limitations, if you can get past the distraction of looking past it while driving? I try to keep my 2” receiver pintle on my truck as well, just in case you need a pickup truck to pull you a short distance to a safe spot.
It is a heavy piece of equipment, so the first time I loaded it I used my cherry picker. In an emergency in the field I could load it one side at a time.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't want the chain on the chain clamps rusting. Looks cool but if you hit anything it might damage / bend you nice tow bar.

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very clean and innovative setup. I've toyed with tow bar storage as well and think this is the best one I've seen so far that requires zero fabrication.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't want the chain on the chain clamps rusting. Looks cool but if you hit anything it might damage / bend you nice tow bar.
I agree. The axle clamps were NOS and the chains were soaked in cosmoline, real sticky stuff that was hard to get off. I got most of the external stuff off, but internally there is still a lot of grease. But my concern is for the external chain surface. I got some good silicone spray for the outside, and I'm going to take the truck down this afternoon for a bath. So when I get home It'll be spray away.[thumbzup]

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very clean and innovative setup. I've toyed with tow bar storage as well and think this is the best one I've seen so far that requires zero fabrication.
Mike, that's that old med. tow bar you found for me last year at tower park. It cleaned up good. I stripped off all the old paint and rust, and gave it a new grade 8 hinge bolt and a little paint. Probably the best 60 bucks I've spent in a long time.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks cattlerepairman, in the archives there were some who mentioned that max weight was reached with the tow bar and winch, others didn't think it was a problem. I don't plan on going past that max weight. But I will be keeping an eye out for anything that looks or sounds out of the ordinary. Tire wear etc. I'll be due for tires in the spring and I'm looking to go with 11X20 tires. I have been told the 5 ton tires will do a better job of supporting any extra weight, as I was looking at adding a M280 shelter. Some of the other options for mounting the tow bar, made my using the tow bar more difficult due to my physical limitations.
It is NOT weight to the ground that is the issue, it IS the weight on the axle it self that is the issue, a deuce wo/w is close to max axle support weight, adding a winch puts it almost at max axle support weight

rustystud

It is NOT weight to the ground that is the issue, it IS the weight on the axle it self that is the issue, a deuce wo/w is close to max axle support weight, adding a winch puts it almost at max axle support weight
That has been a concern of mine as well. Since I went with the "WARN" electric winch I'm much lighter then the stock winch.
I've also considered a axle truss for the Rockwell axle. I've seen several built for some severe "offroad" use that could be adapted to our purpose. I'm aware of the built-in factory bend to the axles so that would have to be accounted for in the truss build. That would just leave the wheel bearings. Since I'm running stock 9.00 X 20's that shouldn't be to much of a problem.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, that's that old med. tow bar you found for me last year at tower park. It cleaned up good. I stripped off all the old paint and rust, and gave it a new grade 8 hinge bolt and a little paint. Probably the best 60 bucks I've spent in a long time.
You realize that pretty tow bar will never get used...that’s how it works...no tow bar = you break down somewhere and really could use one...having tow bar = you never need to use it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only issue I see is that it comes off the mount complete, and, as you already know, it is heavy. Yes, IF it was ever needed there most likely would be a second person, but, still, together, it will be a hand full to wrestle down. How did you get it up there?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only issue I see is that it comes off the mount complete, and, as you already know, it is heavy. Yes, IF it was ever needed there most likely would be a second person, but, still, together, it will be a hand full to wrestle down. How did you get it up there?
Will, I did the first installation using a cherry picker as I wasn't sure how things were going to come together. Now that I got the tow bar centered and snugged down, if I need to remove the tow bar, I loosen the adjusting nuts to get some slack in the chains, and slide one end out of the chain clamp and let it touch the ground. Then I can wiggle the other side out and the complete tow bar is on the ground. Kind of like having a second person. Goes back the same way, lift one end and fit it through the chain loop. (don't take the chain off the hooks) Now pick up the other end off the ground and continue push the tow bar through the chain loop. Soon as you have it about a third of the way through, start pulling it back and guide it through the other chain loop. This way I only have to pick up one end of the tow bar at a time. Easier than trying to pick up the entire tow bar at once. Hope this makes sense.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to split them apart now as together I can not handle with one person plus one piece alone makes me grunt.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks