• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dump hoist and removable bed

timberrrrrr

Thought I would share my latest project.

Decided I would make this a multi use truck.

Built a dumping frame with a winch so that I could make the bed dump and make it removable so I could drop the bed and pull on a camper when I want to get out of town.

The beds pin onto the frame when installed.

Attachments

Last edited:

dependable

That's pretty cool, a friend of mine wanted to get a commercial roll off rig installed on his 1078, but the shop told him the ones they have won't work because truck is too high off the ground.

Does it load and unload OK? I'll have to show him this thread.

coachgeo

looks awesome. this is what the fellow did with the freightliner truck that use to be under my ambulance body. He uses it to haul storage boxes, sheds etc. by sitting them on a rack then pulling them up on chassis like your set up.

10Lugger

That's pretty cool, a friend of mine wanted to get a commercial roll off rig installed on his 1078, but the shop told him the ones they have won't work because truck is too high off the ground.

Does it load and unload OK? I'll have to show him this thread.
I have a hooklift on a Sterling. Hook heights vary. Unit could be installed, however the assembly weighs 2970 lbs. without fluids and pump. That doesn't leave much cargo allowance after you figure can or bed weight.

https://www.holtzindustries.com/pro...s/20-000-lbs-galbreath-hook-lift-hoist-detail
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timberrrrrr

The Hoist and winch on the truck in the pictures at the top of this thread weighs a little under 1000 pounds.

There are a few advantages I felt to the hoist and winch system . . .

Weighs less, I needed the extra weight capacity for my camper

I now have a winch I can use to pull myself out of a bad situation, but just pulling the cable under the bed out the back

I also now have an M1078 Dump truck

8madjack

This is awesome, do the rails come to the ground? I'd love to see a pic or vid showing the beginning of the loading process.

I plan on making my bed dump, but this is even better.

timberrrrrr

No the rails don’t come to the ground, I found they don’t need to, the bed loads right on easily because the winch hooks under the bed not on the end, thus lifting it higher

I may be able to make a video or maybe post more pictures when I get back from fishing

Tortuga

@timberrrrrr Not sure if you are still on the site. Were you ever able to make a video with this in action. I have started a similar project and just found your post. I was very surprised to see you didn't use any rollers on the rails similar to commercial units. Have you every tried to drag a full load onto the back?

Thanks

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw this post when I first found the site and read just about every single post here concerning these trucks. This was something I was (for a while) considering for my truck.

Tortuga

I saw this post when I first found the site and read just about every single post here concerning these trucks. This was something I was (for a while) considering for my truck.
Something else I keep seeing over and over but can’t seem to find a definitive answer on is the winch truck hydraulic System.

What is the pressure and flow rate?

Many users say the pto driven pump can’t be used for a hoist because it is only single stage and higher flow. I have also never seen an m1078 dump conversion that has used this pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks