• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Transfer case?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Gents,
Had a strange thing happen today. Was backing up to the M1061 trailer, was just about under lunette, applied parking brake. I was in reverse, low transfer. With parking brake set, my foot slipped and it killed the motor. Didn't think to much about it, restarted and finished hooking up. Pulled out and felt a shimmy. Stopped and crawled underneath, had gear oil dripping from rear output shaft......you guys think I cracked the transfer case?? I'll start disassembly as soon as I source out a new/used transfer case(sprag). Anyone interested drop me a PM, I'm in central Illinois.

Advice/suggestions accepted....=)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
NO, STALLING it should not break anything, If it is leaking from the output I would guess a seal, is the output loose, can you see any cracks, I would think /look/read a bunch BEFORE you pull the transfer.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Gents,
Had a strange thing happen today. Was backing up to the M1061 trailer, was just about under lunette, applied parking brake. I was in reverse, low transfer. With parking brake set, my foot slipped and it killed the motor. Didn't think to much about it, restarted and finished hooking up. Pulled out and felt a shimmy. Stopped and crawled underneath, had gear oil dripping from rear output shaft......you guys think I cracked the transfer case?? I'll start disassembly as soon as I source out a new/used transfer case(sprag). Anyone interested drop me a PM, I'm in central Illinois.

Advice/suggestions accepted....=)
If it is something simple like a seal, as Ron suggested it may be, I would fix it. If it is something major I would dump the sprag transfer case and put in a air shift.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree........Ron, the shaft does "wobble". From what I can tell, leak isn't from shaft but slightly above. Got to get in the with some degreaser. I too was hoping for only a seal, but when underway it noticeably shakes the transfer hi/low lever and vibration felt.
PP, finding a Sprag t-case doesn't appear to be easy. Popular web auction site has t-case available, but air w/o all the plumbing and quite higher than I thought. I have an excellent friend who has connections, so will probably go with him instead of auction site.
I would have thought the same Ron!! Really? A stall and cracks t-case? Yet, was in reverse, low transfer, and my foot slipped rapidly. I don't know. Quite a torque with no where to go. I really pray I'm wrong. If any doubt, will remove and replace with a new/used air transfer. Be nice have control of engagement also.

Assume ya both might have done this, so will ask .......am I opening a can of worms I don't want? I haven't done a t-case. Speed of getting it done isnt a factor ..... safety, correctness, and true functionality ARE! Would either of you know which tm this procedure can be located in?

Thanks Gentlemen, appreciate the insight, advice, and info!!

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are ya sure that park brake has let totally loose, and isn't bound up a bit by a stuck cable or something, causing the shimmy?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good idea. I checked and there is space between drum and pad but "moustache" spring is broken.......anyone got a source for those? Still wonder where gear oil is coming from. Will spray with degreaser to try and locate source.....

Thanks for the ideas!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree........Ron, the shaft does "wobble". From what I can tell, leak isn't from shaft but slightly above. Got to get in the with some degreaser. I too was hoping for only a seal, but when underway it noticeably shakes the transfer hi/low lever and vibration felt.
PP, finding a Sprag t-case doesn't appear to be easy.
TaylortradingCo in NW-GA might have a couple left. Even parts to repair yours - if you don't find anything in your area.

... which tm this procedure can be located in?
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2520-246-34-1.pdf
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2520-246-34P.pdf

tobyS

TC is rather simple inside....you can do it. I did my 817 TC. Mine may have been a one of a kind, it was brown and appeared new (not green) but the output shaft wobbled and was lose to move the shaft. I found that it was new, but they had not set the bearing preload and all of the (3) shafts were lose...made a heck of a racket at about 30mph.

There is an ad in the classified right now with a deuce TC.

searls84

Good idea. I checked and there is space between drum and pad but "moustache" spring is broken.......anyone got a source for those? Still wonder where gear oil is coming from. Will spray with degreaser to try and locate source.....

Thanks for the ideas!
I have a couple of those “mustache springs” that are NOS. Send me a PM if you want/can’t find one.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have an air shift t case on its way.....still no "smoking gun crack" found. Rearranging space for work to begin. When parts arrive, hope to have cab emptied and linkage disconnected. Time will become a premium as my work schedule will be getting "stupid" which leaves little time or availability for extra curricular activities.

Really appreciate everyone chiming in......nice knowing not gonna have to do this "alone"......lol

Thanks and keep suggestions coming.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
8778.jpg7928.jpg

Well,

Thanks to some a good friend in MN and another great gentleman in GA, t-case is in!

I appreciate the help and advice I got from the posts here. Made me feel a bit better, that it could be done.

Want to thank Andy and Clint! You guys helped more than ya realize!

The actual remove and replacement is fairly straightforward. Lifting and blocking up front wheel as per TM is darn handy when rotating flanges to line up.

Removed spring seats and tunnel. Used engine hoist with boom extension (modified) and transmission jack for actual removal and reinstall. Brackets were different so exchanged, mine had bolts, new/used had studs. Some came off, some came out. I mixed and matched. Don't, cause studs stick out too far on upper holes, had to cut off and smooth.

While under truck greased all zerts I could find, u-joints, speedo cable, spring shackles, etc etc....

Ran all new copper for air system (cause it didn't exist before and sent tubing had a few kinks)

Gonna change oil and filters while she's down. =).

Thanks again guys for the help! Especially Clint and Andy!! Hopefully she'll be rolling again soon soon. Have to reinstall seats, door, mirror, and tunnel......not "done" yet.:whistle:

dmetalmiki

Glad you carried out the 'fix' ok. Nice to have the help.
MM54A2 transfer case was noisy and clanked and clunked enough for me to purchase another unit, However after filling with a heavier weight oil, and a liberal amount of 'molislip'.. the case is now quiet smooth and actally will shift on the fly.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the tunnel, seats, and door put on. Redid the mirror mounting rod and smoothed and greased hinge pins for door. Drained oil and prepped for filter cannister removal tomorrow when Wix filters arrive. So far, so good.........slow and.steady.......enjoying time with the truck and dogs. One step at a time........

Nothing super duper, just a deuce. LOL. Nothing really of photo quality.......lol. Be fun to try the air-shift out..........

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, trucks pretty much back together. Oil and filters changed. Fluids checked and topped off. Air-shift transfer case works smoothly and shifts well, even on the fly. Got the spare rehung(tight with 11-20's). Changed duct work from heating unit as I noticed a couple of holes.

Over all? Glad I did it. Appreciate the help I got from members here. Took me a while as I was working alone and at Works whim. I'm goin to scavenge the useable parts off the old sprague t-case and box em up. T-cases are heavy buggers, especially dragging through gravel....lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks