• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can Anyone Shed Light on Mystery Bolts?

Lizard Dog

This morning I reinstalled the access cover on the bottom of the transmission bellhousing. As I did I noticed the two bottom bolts, (#9 in the attached drawing), don't seem to serve any function. They don't attach to the transmission, just float in the cover.
Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 10.48.27 AM.jpg
What are they for?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the Civi trucks there are two braces. They go from those bolt holes to two brackets mounted behind the motor mounts. Not all civi trucks came with these. The military did not purchase them either. But all TQ covers are drilled and tapped to accept them

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The man reason is like CUCVRUS said. They are for trucks that are used for hard offroading. That way you don't break the bell housing during a hard landing.

cucvrus

DSCF4657.jpgI removed the one pictured from a 1990 GMC Jimmy with a 350EFI / 700R combo. The bolt holes are threaded in the NP 208 transfer case. I think M16 metric thread.

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

I have all 3 installed on mine. had to source them from a wrecker. There are several different lengths on the motor mount to bellhousing braces. Couldn't find the right size so bought a set, cut them and welded to shorter length.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks