• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know the right air cleaner elbow?

thebernice

Hi everyone, I'm working on an early WC52 and I've been having a **** of a time getting an air cleaner that fits. Originally I'm sure it had a Zenith but I have a Carter now and I'd prefer to make it fit than buy a whole new carburetor.
I finally got an early air cleaner but it still doesn't fit. It seems to be slightly to far towards the firewall and too high. Only thing left to replace is the elbow. I'll include pictures of what I have. Does anyone know what the early elbow's part number was?

20180915_130731.jpg20180915_130738.jpg20180915_123721.jpg20180915_130713.jpg

Last edited:

mdainsd

I don't think the problem is the elbow or the air cleaner. your engine appears to set too far back (or the cab is somehow too far forward). you should just about be able to get your hand between the back of the engine and the firewall (about 7/8")

diesel dave

It is my understanding that the body dictates which carb and air cleaner will fit. I think the carter setup required a larger firewall indent. There are only 2 elbows for the ww2 dodges. Carter and zenith. I ran into the same issue and had to switch to a zenith setup. Call John at Midwest Military or Steve at vintage power wagons. They will have your answers.

mdainsd

There are actually four elbows for 3/4 ton wc,s, one for the Zenith and three for the Carter ETW1, 929848-1, 929848-2 and unmarked. Using the unmarked one with an early aircleaner works in early firewall WCs

thebernice

I don't think the problem is the elbow or the air cleaner. your engine appears to set too far back (or the cab is somehow too far forward). you should just about be able to get your hand between the back of the engine and the firewall (about 7/8")
Yeah the guys over on G503 pointed out that the engine seems to be way too close to the firewall (almost touching). I'm not sure how that happened. The engine was replaced at some point, so it likely happened there. Although, I don't think the engine can move forward an inch without the fan hitting the radiator. So it might be the cab.

As for elbows, no one seems to have the unmarked one. I've even tried the European shops. I'm not sure it would fix the issue with the engine being so far back anyway.

Last edited:

mdainsd

yeah, Probably not. I guess start at the front and see whats amiss. The hood is a fized length so that distance cant change between the fire wall and the core support.

You do have the right radiator in there, do you not? It goes completely into the nose, the back of it is flush with the core support.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks