• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6 Volt or 12 Volt and Do I need a resistor

I am a complete Jeep newb and need help. My mix of civi and military 1956 M38 with the L134 is now running. The points had some pitting so I sanded them down and reinstalled which brought the spark back. The person who helped me thought that there should be a resistor inline so that once the vehicle starts the coil should NOT get more than 9-10V preventing premature failure of the points. So, with something this old was that even a thing and should I do it or keep full 12V to that coil all the time. Speaking of that I have a single 12V battery not sure if that is the norm or not for this vehicle. Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you need a resistor. M38s were originally 24 volt with two batteries, but sounds like that is gone. M38s were 1950-52 only.

Interesting! I guess its not a real M38 then. I am almost certain it is the L134 as the top of the engine is flat with the spark plugs right on top. The carb appears to be some kind of water tight setup. There is also an odd tube with a valve between the intake and the carb that goes to the oil fill tube. Being that its now 12V I assume I should treat it as if there were factory and what I need.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a pic? Many of these are mis-labeled with the wrong year over time. Is it a flat fender? Does it have a battery box on the cowl?

mdainsd

Despite what type of Jeep it is you can buy 12V coils that do not require the ballast resistor. If you cannot confirm that the one you have is made for no resistor you should get the right type coil or add the resistor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks