• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce for sand offroading?

nrmartini

Hi Porky,

I'll definitely look into those before making a final decision. Seems like people think it would be a better idea to go with an LMTV over a deuce or 5-ton.

Thanks,
Nick

nrmartini

Hi Snowtrac,

If I'm understanding correctly it seems like the lmtv is more reliable, but all of them have their issues. I definitely like the look of the deuce better than the LMTV, but if an LMTV would be a better more reliable decision I think I will probably go with one of those. Is it normal to drive a couple thousand miles a year in these without any issues?

Thank you,
Nick

nrmartini

To reply to the thread as a whole. Seeing what it would take to get an LMTV or Deuce out of the sand if I did get stuck sorta pushed me towards an HMMWV. Seems like $15,000 can buy me either of the 3 in fairly good shape. Since less weight is better for the sand it would probably be better to stay away from the 5 ton trucks as it seems some of the weigh a significant more than the deuces. I'm still open for any feedback, as I've stated I know little to none about these trucks. Any information will be useful to me.

Thank you,
Nick

nrmartini

Hi Frank,

Awesome thanks for the reply, just found out that getting an HMMWV titled and registered for road use is near impossible, so I will probably rule that out.

Thanks,
Nick

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it normal to drive a couple thousand miles a year in these without any issues?

Thank you,
Nick
I've driven dueces,5tons, and HMMWVs a couple thousand miles in a single trip without issues.

Sitting idle is much harder on them than moderate use.

My favorite are the 5ton trucks, but my use isn't sand specific.

I would not assert that the LMTVs are the most reliable of the bunch.

Guyfang

Staff member
You have never lived until you've spent a few weeks in a M35, in the rain, snow and cold. And I don't care WHAT you do to "fix it up". Having said that, I still would love to jump up in one and go.

snowtrac nome

I have around 15 k on mine since I got it last summer and it hasn't let me down a bit I have one slip yoke that didn't take grease right. Now I have to have the driveline rebuilt other wise I have had no issues other than service work. You stand a much better chance with an lmtv being ready to run than a duce. weather its a duce 5 ton or fmtv, because they were fleet vehicles and all built the same all 3 have the usual problems well documented so you know what to watch out for. on sand with functioning ctis you really don't have to worry about getting stuck mud is another thing you get up to the axles you had better have some serious recovery gear.

pwerwagn

I live in a desert and "our" lake is Elephant Butte in south-central New Mexico. There are many there with MVs specifically for the sand, used to pull 5th wheel trailers. Most are 5 tons. Some deuces. I have not seen a single LMTV for that out there. You also do not see bobbed trucks pulling trailers.

The 6x6 trucks do great out in the sugar sand pulling trailers. However, most of these trucks are stored close to the lake eliminating the need to highway drive very far.
I use our Deuce the same place VPed does, elephant butte. There are TONS of deuces, 5 tons, an M1070, etc down there to haul 5th wheels thru the sand, load boats on the beach, etc. There is ONE LMTV down there, but it is the crane/wrecker version and I have only seen it on the beach one time, using the crane portion to lift the front of a 5th wheel up that fell off the jacks after a big rain/wind storm.

The deuce/5ton's do work good when dragging a lot of weight, BUT...if you are just wanting to run around on a beach empty, they aren't that impressive. I have a few normal lake trucks and running around empty they work better. I have an 04 dodge cummins with beadlocks and 37" toyos, and aired down to ~14/10 f/r psi, it will go places my deuce will not go (empty, of course). I also leave 2 70's power wagons there one on 39's the other on 31's...and they work just fine aired down as well. I honestly leave my deuce in storage unless I need it. I do not use it as my normal lake truck, because its rough, pain to drive, expensive to fix, a PAIN to get unstuck when you get it stuck, etc.

But, when I hook it to my motorhome, boat, 5th wheel...etc, the deuce will pull it all better thru the sand. The 5 tons work even better. The M1070 is impressive with anything hooked behind it.

I guess it really depends on what you want to use it for. Empty beach cruising, its an expensive novelty. Dragging stuff thru the sand it becomes more useful.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks