• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Issues

Russm

Let me try to get my whole history in here before you guys tear me apart. :drool:

About 2 months ago my batteries started going bad, not able to hold a charge. Just out of warranty, go figure. Truck would struggle a little to start. I was also poor at the time, money was tight, couldn't make any fixes so I just ran with it.
Shortly thereafter I started getting some really LOUD grinding noise upon starting. Like echoing across the parking lot and people turn and look at you loud. It would make that noise for 1-2 sec then start. I tried to use the truck as little as possible from here after.
So I searched in here, found that low battery voltage might cause the starter gear to not fully engage the flex plate, so it slips and makes that noise.
Truck has been mostly sitting since then.
I just changed the batteries. Nice walmart brand with 5 year warranty. :D The problem sound remains.
Pulled off the starter. The starter bolts came out way too easy.(could this be the issue? it was too loose?) Like if they weren't so greasy I could almost take them out by hand. The gear in the starter looks ok. The outer edge is a little more shiny than the rest of it, but otherwise fine. No missing or worn down teeth, looks exactly like the product pic from rockauto. Too dark now to take off the inspection cover off the rear of the tranny to look at the flex plate, but from what I could see with a flashlight, the teeth look good. Need to obviously check the rest of it.

Kind of stumped what to do from here. I think the starter isnt engaging fully, thats why its grinding like that.

What else...
It's the direct drive starter. On one side it says "no shim"
The bracket on the end is there, it was holding the end of the starter securely. The little bolt that sticks out the end of the starter for this bracket does appear to be bent slightly.
The truck has otherwise not been touched down there :roll: as long as I've had it. Starting has never been an issue until now.

Hasdrubal

The starter drive gear always looks good, its the flexplate teeth that get damaged. You'll have to rotate the engine with a socket to check all the teeth. Mine started grinding when the starter bushings got too worn out, this causes the armature shaft to drop and then the alignment between starter drive and flexplate teeth goes out, causing the grinding. How does your starter crank with good batteries, slow or fast? I get about 6 years between rebuilds. I know its time because it starts cranking slower. I rebuild the 27MT myself. Check out the rebuild thread in the sticky's. A good shop could do this..but its absolutely imperative that the bushings are changed. My last rebuild I didn't change the brushes because there was negligible wear. The kit supplied from ASP doesn't include the correct sizes, I've listed these as well in the thread.

Russm

Got a shop to do it, looks brand new. Even has the new smell. A few of the flex plate teeth look a little worn, but hopefully it works. Don't have the means living in a apt to drop the tranny to change that.

cucvrus

No need to drop the transmission. Easier then that. What you need is tools, floor jack, hard smooth surface, and 4 - 4" x 3/8" grade 8 bolts. Drain the transfer case partially. Remove the drive shafts and all the connecting lines and linkage. Place the jack under the cross member. Remove the bolts holding the cross member to the frame. Remove the bell bolts. Replace the bolts at 9, 10, 2. 3, O'clock with the 4" 3/8" grade 8 bolts. Remove the 6 torque converter bolts and slide the transmission, transfer case assembly back on the jack. Reach up in between and take out the flex plate/ flywheel. Torque the new bolts and reassemble. It can be done in about 4-5 hours alone in the grass on a nice day. I put a sheet of 3/4" plywood down for the jack to roll on. Just make sure you have a reliable rebuilder do the starter. Replace the starter bolts and last and most important. Make sure you tighten/torque everything back in place. Do NOT leave the support bracket off. That is key. I hope I didn't miss any steps. But I have changed many flex plates/flywheels this way. Any questions ask. Good Luck. I hope that helps. I am just a poor dirt farmer myself. Do most things as low budget as possible. I just strive to do the best I can with what I have. Have a Great Day.

Russm

No need to drop the transmission. Easier then that. What you need is tools, floor jack, hard smooth surface, and 4 - 4" x 3/8" grade 8 bolts. Drain the transfer case partially. Remove the drive shafts and all the connecting lines and linkage. Place the jack under the cross member. Remove the bolts holding the cross member to the frame. Remove the bell bolts. Replace the bolts at 9, 10, 2. 3, O'clock with the 4" 3/8" grade 8 bolts. Remove the 6 torque converter bolts and slide the transmission, transfer case assembly back on the jack. Reach up in between and take out the flex plate/ flywheel. Torque the new bolts and reassemble. It can be done in about 4-5 hours alone in the grass on a nice day. I put a sheet of 3/4" plywood down for the jack to roll on. Just make sure you have a reliable rebuilder do the starter. Replace the starter bolts and last and most important. Make sure you tighten/torque everything back in place. Do NOT leave the support bracket off. That is key. I hope I didn't miss any steps. But I have changed many flex plates/flywheels this way. Any questions ask. Good Luck. I hope that helps. I am just a poor dirt farmer myself. Do most things as low budget as possible. I just strive to do the best I can with what I have. Have a Great Day.
Thanks Mr. Dos equis.

If I tried to do that I'm pretty sure my apartment landlords would have a brick come out of thier dark holes.

They already give me death stares when they see me under the truck. What probably saves me is that I dont leave any stains.

I'll remount the starter and hope for the best. Flexplate will get done when I have my own yard to do it in.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Russm

Holy sh!t

I aint never heard my starter make a noise like that!

Fired right up

So thats what a properly functioning starter sounds like

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks