• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire dept with M932A2 needs info

CEnterPointVFD

Admins I hope I am not breaking any rules but we joined this for help.

We currently have a M932A2 that we are using for a urban tanker and mutual aid. The truck was given to us through our forestry program. It has a brand new engine and transmission in it. We have been having a few issues and no one in the area seems to know how to help us so we are turning to this forum for help.

Here are the issues.

1.) lack of power. We are not trying to win any drag races, but multiple times the truck is sluggish. We were told there are some changes that can be made to help improve low end speed

2.) battery relocation. We would like to move the batteries from inside the cab to the storage box on the passenger side of the truck. We will have dedicated batteries for the truck and batteries for our lights and accessories.

3.) are there any aftermarket or motor vehicle seats that can be installed?

4.) hard top roof. We currently have the canvas one but it is worn out. We would like to have a hard too room so that we can mount a fire dept bar on too. Suggestions on where we could get one

5.)m series push button light switch. Our regular one is broke and we were told this is a direct replacement. Best place to get one?

We really do appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Admins I hope I am not breaking any rules but we joined this for help.

We currently have a M932A2 that we are using for a urban tanker and mutual aid. The truck was given to us through our forestry program. It has a brand new engine and transmission in it. We have been having a few issues and no one in the area seems to know how to help us so we are turning to this forum for help.

Here are the issues.

1.) lack of power. We are not trying to win any drag races, but multiple times the truck is sluggish. We were told there are some changes that can be made to help improve low end speed

2.) battery relocation. We would like to move the batteries from inside the cab to the storage box on the passenger side of the truck. We will have dedicated batteries for the truck and batteries for our lights and accessories.

3.) are there any aftermarket or motor vehicle seats that can be installed?

4.) hard top roof. We currently have the canvas one but it is worn out. We would like to have a hard too room so that we can mount a fire dept bar on too. Suggestions on where we could get one

5.)m series push button light switch. Our regular one is broke and we were told this is a direct replacement. Best place to get one?

We really do appreciate the help.

Welcome. You came to the right place. All your questions have been answered here, here is a quick summary:

1. Yup, these are slow. But they are designed to pull a 50,000lb trailer so your water weight should not be a huge issue. Make sure the fuel system is working properly and you have good boost. Going to duals will help too.
2. Good idea, people have done that. Just protect the cables going through the holes.
3. Sure, just get 18 wheeler seats from a wrecking yard. New seats are also not too expensive, see a truck parts place.
4. These have gotten super expensive new. Try calling some parts dealers like Red River Parts and Equipment for a take-off.
5. Stay with the lever switch, buy from parts dealers or ebay. The push button switch can catch fire.

Good luck!

CEnterPointVFD

Wow. Quick reply’s. On the switch what would it take to change it out to a rocker switch? This is the second time our switch has been broken in 8 months. I don’t mind just ditching the entire thing and making a simple rocker switch that turns on all lights.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wow. Quick reply’s. On the switch what would it take to change it out to a rocker switch? This is the second time our switch has been broken in 8 months. I don’t mind just ditching the entire thing and making a simple rocker switch that turns on all lights.

The standard 3 lever switch is a direct replacement. The 3 lever is a great switch for thousands of usages. Going to a rocker would be a total nightmare really

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Need to train your drivers on how to use it. They are forcing the levers because they don't use the unlock. It is no simple task to hack the harness going into the switch and separate out power in, power out to stoplight switch, power back in from stoplight switch, power out to headlights, stop lights, clearance lights, etc. I suggest you avoid this, as hacking is never very reliable in the long run.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to train your drivers on how to use it. They are forcing the levers because they don't use the unlock. It is no simple task to hack the harness going into the switch and separate out power in, power out to stoplight switch, power back in from stoplight switch, power out to headlights, stop lights, clearance lights, etc. I suggest you avoid this, as hacking is never very reliable in the long run.
I think he has the junk push button now thats broken, not the 3 lever.

On the lack of power from a stop, if heavily loaded especially off road, the A2 trucks take a few seconds for the turbo to spool up and overcome the stall on the torque converter. Put the throttle to the floor for 5-7ish seconds, if the truck don’t start to move you need to run low range. Taking off from a stop on road you just need to be patient up until around 10mph. There are fuel adjustments that can help, but you will want to add a pyrometer and train all the operators to keep from trashing the motor.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found one in my tool box but missing screws. I will look for some when I go to the storage property. PM me your name and address and I will send it to you free.

Attachments

Last edited:

DeadParrot

on #1, check the air filter. Don't assume it is as new as the motor. I recently purchased a deuce that had lived a while as a hay truck on a farm. One the drive home, it wouldn't get much over 45. I had a guy with former Guard Diesel Mechanic experience help with the purchase inspection and drive home. It was parked for a while due to moving. Finally pulled the air filter. Must have gotten pounds of dirt and dust out of that thing. Few more things to fix before it is really road worthy and I find out if that was the speed problem.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT is probably correct, you have operator error. The operator manual is available free on this site. I have light switches that I have used for 10 years with no problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks