• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stowing bows and bow stakes

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I searched the TM's and couldn't find my specific application. On my 5 ton the bow stakes are stowed behind the cab in slots in the cargo bed. The angle iron rests that the stakes sit on don't have end caps and the bows will slide sideways and fall down into the frame area after driving a while. How should they be secured to prevent this? I'm thinking about welding end caps on the rests and that should take care of it, but am curious to know how to secure them otherwise.

Thanks!

jbayer

Not sure about the 5 tons, but M35A2C's also have pockets mounted on the headache rack that the staves go through first, before the bed rail, so they can't do what you're describing.
Item # 16 on M35. I would imagine similar for 5 ton

Attachments

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Now I ain't a truck guy, but in the forum TM section, in TM 9-2320-272-10, dated 31 July 2012, work package 0036, TM page0036-10, PDF reader page number 412, is some instructions concerning stowage of bows. This TM was posted by JUANPRADO.

Take a gander, and see if this is what you need.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I ain't a truck guy, but in the forum TM section, in TM 9-2320-272-10, dated 31 July 2012, work package 0036, TM page0036-10, PDF reader page number is some instructions concerning stowage of bows. This TM was posted by JUANPRADO.

Take a gander, and see if this is what you need.
Pretty sure that's the one I already looked at. The bow stakes are stowed along the front side portion of the bed. Mine are stowed in the front of the bed.

Guyfang

Staff member
Russ, can you take a picture of it for us. Maybe someone, at some time, used parts to make it look right, but it's not. And the model number is M925A2, and nothing behind the A2?

jbayer

Top of page 2-230, same TM, it says:"(15)
Stow staves (2) in pockets (3) on forward end of vehicle sides. On

M923/A1/A2 and M925/A1/A2 model vehicles, staves are stored in pockets on cargo

body directly behind vehicle cab (1)."

jbayer

Look at TM 9-2320-272-24P-2, figure 385 , item # 22. (2) required. Looks the same as those on M35A2C.

" 22 PFOZZ 2510001193904 19207 10937932 .RETAINER, STAKE BOW .......................................................... 2
UOC:DAW, DAX, V14, V15, ZAA, ZAB "

Last edited:

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine are built into the front of the cargo bed. I'll take pictures later. Thanks everyone!

jbayer

Yes. And you're still supposed to have these brackets. The staves go through the brackets, and then through the bed rail, and sit in that channel. That's why there's no end caps on the channels The headache racks are interchangeable. Somebody probably swapped them out at one point.
But do as wish.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
On Swiss's 923, since it is a pain in the butt to do the bow thing according to the tm, I made bow storage pockets just behind the first bow on the non moving side, I used 2" thin flat stock to go across the up rights (one at the top, one at the top of the bed rail), then since the bows are so tall that it is hard to install/remove I shortened them I think about 16" (I cut them to match the front bow that was in the bed pocket), this way when all the bows were in the storage position, they all were the same height. I then dropped the cut offs into the stock bed pockets, and secured them to the pocket, I did this so when the bows with the shortened bow up rights are installed they will be at the correct height.

SORRY NO PICTURES, I do not stop every 10 seconds to take pictures, If I think about pictures, I MAY snap a few, on the other hand I do not place pictures very high on the to do list, in fact I do not think it even on the list.

So if any of you went pictures, BUG Swiss.

One person can remove/install the bows in about TWO minutes or less, NO tools needed, cover is folded up ON TOP of the bows then is placed right under the rear window, when installing the cover, it is placed on the 3rd bow, unfolded in reverse of the removal folding, the cover thing can also be done by one person, about 5 min. to remove and close to 10 min. to install because of the needed tugging to get it all lined up..

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
You would get better visibility, if you start a WTB thread. And I seem to remember that when we mounted our light bar, or whoopie lights, that where we mounted them to. That way, should we need to deploy, quick removal, for loading on planes and that sort of thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks