Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: G-7105 and K-51 Panel van Community - search for owners!

Thanks

WW2Chevy -
    Thanks for the heads-up! I have accounts on G503 and CCKW, but I haven't posted anything there. I'll be sure to peruse their threads on the subject!

You are correct. My van is a 1941 model. It is the 'early series' with the external battery access. I have the old grill, old filler cap, old engine side panels, old rear doors (only open 90 degrees line the civilian), but I do have military round gauges. I'm guessing these didn't all change at one time, but probably as they ran out of parts of each. Seems like the practical, military thing to do.

I'll throw in a small anecdote to that effect. For the vans, there appear to be two 'early' versions. I'm open to correction by anyone reading this, but my understanding is that there was a very early run of trucks (<100) that retained the civilian battery box location - under the passenger side seat. I've included a picture to show the difference. Note that the top is the early (early) series, and the lower is a later series, but it does have the 'Chevrolet' embossed panels. The top shows a smooth, continuous rocker panel aft of the passenger door with continuous running boards, while the lower has the battery access. They utilized the pickup forward running board, and a unique-to-the-panel rear. The fuel filler location may also have been altered further aft when the battery moved. Keep in mind that the lower is actually a later truck, but the battery access was the same across all panels that had it (to my understanding). To my knowledge, there may only be 1 or 2 of the early fellas still around.

In regards to the wiper motors - I may have an interest! A previous owner electrified mine, which are nice, but they definitely lose the nostalgia factor!

The truck runs and drives, definitely road-worthy, but not exactly road-'safe.' First plan is to fix the essentials: Glass (in process), brakes, lights and change the fluids. I don't plan to restore it any time soon, but I will slowly chip away at it. The largest area to tackle will be the rear doors. Mine are a proper mess. It looks like it was used to train driving students how to back up... and hit things. One change I may pursue (that will definitely upset some folks) is to install the DUKW wheels and tires. It was a high floatation option during the war for the desert theatres - to my understanding. Probably won't do it right away, but I do have the wheels! I need one more, though!

What do you have left on yours?
    G7105 Early Series - Batt Box.jpg
    Last edited by aarondnelson; 11-04-2018 at 10:59. Reason: confusing wording
    Have: 1941 G7105 Panel Van; M101A2;
    Trade: M101 for M105?
    Used to Have: S-250 Shelter, 1970 M36A2
    Wish List: M4 & M6 High Speed Tractors
    Recovering a warbird would be priceless, but that would probably be for the 'Aluminum Soldiers' webpage...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aarondnelson For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (11-03-2018), WW2Chevy (11-09-2018)

Thanks

Following! I would love to have a K-51.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfen For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (11-03-2018)

Thanks

Wolfen - I recently received a photo of two panels side-by-side, apparently taken in Portland. Not sure how old the photo is, or where exactly it was taken, but I intend to find out! Just saying!

Thanks for following - I think we can keep things interesting for a while!
    Have: 1941 G7105 Panel Van; M101A2;
    Trade: M101 for M105?
    Used to Have: S-250 Shelter, 1970 M36A2
    Wish List: M4 & M6 High Speed Tractors
    Recovering a warbird would be priceless, but that would probably be for the 'Aluminum Soldiers' webpage...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to aarondnelson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfen For This Useful Post:

MVPA
    Thanks

Aaron, you are correct about there being two "early " versions. The earliest model was the Y series, which still had the battery inside the cab. The next model was the Z series. This series had a number of changes inlcuding battery location, gauges, grill configuration, etc. Next was the N series. Late in 41 and very early 42 there was a short time when all three series were being built. The N series was built from early 42 through the end of the war.

My truck is ucrrenlty stripped down to the frame, and I am working on correctly a bad case of "winch droop".
    1942 Chevy G506

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WW2Chevy For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (11-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 5,091 Posts

Not really a panel van but it IS an early 1941 1 1/2 ton GMC Radio Truck (K18-C).

I just wanted to share a few pics of it because it IS kind of a rare bird.

The pic with the trailer is not mine, it's from a 1941 LIFE Magazine a friend sent me but it shows what the complete package looked like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by papabear; 11-10-2018 at 09:11.
    Ignorance can be educated and crazy can be medicated but there is no cure for stupid.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papabear For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (11-10-2018), Wolfen (11-10-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2