• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gov Planet - Chambersburg Experience

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I write out a quick post about my 1st Gov Planet purchase experience.

I have been buying surplus for 15+ years, but as of yet never bought anything from Gov Planet - until last week. I decided to pop on a generator in Chambersburg. I have bought 25+ generators on GL which all were fairly painless. Won, paid, shipped freight - easy.

After the Gov Planet auction ended I emailed the site asking if they could put the generator on a pallet so I could send in freight truck for pick-up, no response.... called a few times, no response....

I ended up making a trip from Michigan to Florida and decided on the way back to swing through Pennsylvania to pick it up. Let's just say the site is not marked and down a gravel trail with three goats blocking the trail path. Can you at least put a marker on the road with some numbers? I was hauling a 30ft trailer and it's never a good idea to go in blind not knowing how much room there will be to turn around.

Made contact with the site rep. who was nice enough guy. Took a few minutes to find the generator. Unfortunately the site only had a monster forklift and we had to move some small generators by brute force to make way for the forklift. Getting back to the monster forklift, the forks were to wide to fit through the skid on the generator so again had to use brute force to drag it onto the forks.

I hope someone from Gov Planet reads this because I want to buy more generators and other equipment from them. But there is no way I can buy anything if they can't put items on a pallet for freight shipment. I live 10 hours away from Chambersburg so I can't pick items up. Also, please answer the phone and emails!

I have seen it written a few times lately, but GL had it's flaws but I am sure missing them right now. I know Gov Planet is new to this but I hope they improve.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They do freight shipping out of the Albany, GA yard just fine. I don't know why there in PA would be any different.

Issue with forklifts if that they either have something too small to lift heavy stuff or something overkill for that they are actually doing. It is pretty backwards. The PA guy is hard to get a hold of sometimes I have noticed. I generally just show up after he doesn't answer the first few times.

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't see a pallet anywhere on the site, has to be all buyer pickups. Heck there isn't even much room for semi to turn around in there. If you do go to Chambersburg bring some goodies for the goats, I had to fend them off as they kept jumping on my trailer and nibbling on some shrink wrap....

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Before, all the stuff out of GovPlanet Chambersburg were big items from Letterkenny Depot. They never had a skid generator before the all surplus takeover.

They also moved to that location about 8 months ago. They really need a street number sign at least.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks