• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Apple Valley, CA HELP Need tires! M1079 395/85 R20 Mid-trip

MJT

Hello everyone!
I am mid road trip, in Lodi California, destined for Apple Valley, CA when I noticed a pretty severe split on my front tire. I have a good spare, and have a tow truck on the way to hopefully help me put this on, but the other three tires aren't looking so great either and I'm wondering if anybody has tires between here and LA, or knows of somewhere that would have them in stock and can help me install.

Thank you

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I sent this thread to a few people that are in the San Francisco area.

I could ship you tires out of TN. Shipping on 4 is around $600 and would possibly be there Monday going out tomorrow. That is to a business address there.

We have New, used XMLs and MVTs. Long way but an option

Arnheim

Hi Matt, im located in SF, as are two others that have the trucks, I have one loose spare new Goodyear (2015) but it's not mounted to a rim.

MJT

Hello, after writing the message, I looked around the truck again, it looks like two of the tires are split pretty bad, rather than having the tow truck replace one that hasn't popped, I think I'm going to head on because I only have one spare, if I have a blowout I definitely will need a tire. I'm going to try to keep speeds low and find somewhere that can install 4 new ones. Heading toward Stockton now.

MJT

Aside from buying old military stock, are there any major tire retailers that carry or can get the correct size? Is 39585 R20 the only size that works on the lmtv?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can go to 12R24.5s. They are 49 inches tall. You would need wheels as well. Or 11r24.5 or 12r22.5s. You won't find much in that height in a 20in tire on the commercial market

Arnheim

In the SF bay area I have yet to find anyone (including off-road racing truck outfits) willing to change the tires. George Oren in San Leandro did ine but 3/4 of the ones they did had slow leaks. Perhaps posting on Craigslist could find veteran etc that has service experience doing it.

MJT

The tow truck was able to help me put my spare on the worst Tire, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my speeds low. If anyone along this journey has tires mounted or can help me, please let me know. I don't think I have time for them to be shipped, unless I have no other option

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a place in Visalia who has military and aircraft tires. PM me if you want the contact info.

8madjack

I know there's a guy close to me in Placerville it's got 54s but when I was looking for that link I found this in Reno!

Last edited by a moderator:

MJT

Pm'd for Visalia info. Reno would have been great but I am in Los Banos already, still heading down I-5, at 40 mph.. I can see s few splits on the rear tire that make me nervous.

MJT

Well I ended up blowing a Tire, luckily I swapped the bad one out on the front so the back one went instead.. I am being towed back to Apple Valley now. Lucerne isn't too far, I'll PM you. Anyone know of someone who can install new tires in the high desert? Thanks everyone

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Go to home depot and get yourself either a milwaukee fuel 18v series 1/2" impact or a dewalt brushless 1/2" impact. A 15/16" impact deep well socket. and a 1-1/2" impact socket. Long crow bar and a good heavy hammer. Breaking tires down is easy.

MJT

20180920_184305.jpg20180920_182818.jpg20180920_182848.jpg

I would love to try to give it a shot installing myself, but I am all by myself and dont have a garage to work on it. I got 4 great looking tires from Mark in Lucerne Valley- seemed like a great guy (thanks Jeff for recommending him). I am going to tow it 1 mile down the street to the tire shop tomorrow morning for install.

I noticed what looks like diff fluid on the dirt under my poor truck. There is a hose that comes from the top of the rear axel (finger pointing in photo) that terminates and is leaking at what looks like a weep or drain valve but I could be wrong and am not sure what I am looking at (its the hose going straight up in the last photo with the dark, wet spot under it).. I was thinking maybe because the system has pressure on one side and a shredded tire this might be normal when a tire goes out? Or is something broken off or missing?

Looks like clear fluid- smells diffy/ hydrolic-ish

Thanks for your help!

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 742153View attachment 742151View attachment 742152

I would love to try to give it a shot installing myself, but I am all by myself and dont have a garage to work on it. I got 4 great looking tires from Mark in Lucerne Valley- seemed like a great guy (thanks Jeff for recommending him). I am going to tow it 1 mile down the street to the tire shop tomorrow morning for install.

I noticed what looks like diff fluid on the dirt under my poor truck. There is a hose that comes from the top of the rear axel (finger pointing in photo) that terminates and is leaking at what looks like a weep or drain valve but I could be wrong and am not sure what I am looking at (its the hose going straight up in the last photo with the dark, wet spot under it).. I was thinking maybe because the system has pressure on one side and a shredded tire this might be normal when a tire goes out? Or is something broken off or missing?

Looks like clear fluid- smells diffy/ hydrolic-ish

Thanks for your help!
That's just the axle vent hose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks