• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Poppet valve

Noclowns

So I just bought this m813a1 about two months ago, so I don’t really know the history. It’s had a bad air leak since I bought it. So I found my poppet valve was leaking at the open port after many hours and days of searching for leaks.Couldn’t find a rebuild kit online. So I took off cleaned, put new orings on, and made new gaskets. Installed it and same crap. Took lines off from transfer case air cylinder to eliminate that to find leak. So I noticed it was only leaking from the one poppet closest to the seat. Messing around I found when shifter is just barely put in reverse it stops leaking. So I got the idea of backing the 4 mounting bolts off from the poppet. Leak stopped. So my question is should a guy put more shims in between poppet and trans (there is one set along with o rings)or is something else going on? Anyone else come across this before?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No rebuild the transfer case air cylinder. I will see if I can find my thread or post about doing it as it should help.

Noclowns

I have the two lines coming off air cylinder removed. Just poppet is leaking air, stops when moved into reverse a hair.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the two lines coming off air cylinder removed. Just poppet is leaking air, stops when moved into reverse a hair.
You still have the supply air line hooked up so the poppets have air. The shaft that moves when we go from reverse to neutral has dents in it. So when you have it in neutral it will leak air now and if you go in to reverse it will leak air. You are just moving the shaft just enough to be in between detents. Hook you cylinder air lines back up and rebuild the transfer case air cylinder.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neutral or any forward gear or you could say as soon as it goes into neutral from reverse it is in forward sprag and any forward gear you select it is in forward sprag. Hook up the cylinder air lines and see what happens when you go from neutral to reverse and then back to neutral. Should have no constant air leaking and hear and maybe feel the sprag shifting. If air leaks constant in ether position rebuild the cylinder.

Last edited:

Noclowns

Neutral or any forward gear or you could say as soon as it goes into neutral from reverse it is in forward sprag and any forward gear you select it is in forward sprag. Hook up the cylinder air lines and see what happens when you go from neutral to reverse and then back to neutral. Should have no constant air leaking and hear and maybe feel the sprag shifting. If air leaks constant in ether position rebuild the cylinder.
Ok that makes more sense then. Yep air cylinder is leaking. Thanks for the help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks