• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Trouble

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Trouble

mangus580 said:
I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express... but its been a couple weeks now!
Were you able to access the internet in the rooms or just the lobby?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Troub

But, it's free!

portert0224

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Troub

From my research, the SF 97s are created when the Gov't received them in Lansing, MI and the gov't turns them over to GL when the property passes from Gov't to GL. In other words, GL does have the SF 97 when they take possesion of the vehicle. I also believe that we should recieve the title either at pick up, or at least withing a week. Again, I spoke to the GL title lady and she told me that she was the ONLY title clerk for GL and she did all the titles for every vehicle GL sold. No wonder it was taking 3 months for a title.

Here in Virginia, our DMV will accept an SF 97 without it having to be sent to another state (like Florida) for reassingment of title. Although I explained this to the title lady and GL "senior management", I still had to wait the extra 2+ weeks for the title lady at GL to send it to Florida to have the SF given a reassigned title.

GL pretty much does what it wants to do because we are a captive audience who wants a unique product that cannot be gotten from any other source. So really, GL has no incentive or motivation to improve customer service.

EdMontana

So, if the SF97 is made by the Government to GL prior of selling date why do we need to give GL all the data from the truck? like serial number, model, GW and maker?? I still don't understand why the buyer need give this information.... THEY should have it from the start, they are the ones selling the vehicle...

Maybe Robim (GL staff) would like to step in and shine a light in this darkness.... :?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Trouble

mangus580 said:
Guys..... Lets be careful PUSHING this title issue as a Law....

Real simple end result will come of it... all vehicles will be sold as SCRAP ONLY!

Tread Lightly!

or more appropriately... Chose your Battles
I didn't think of this untill he brought it up but I have to say I agree.

FreightTrain

Banned
actually,the SF97 and fee is not for a TITLE.You are being forced to pay for the bill of sale.Be different if the 60 bucks was for an actual title but you gotta use the SF97 to go and pay for a title and fill out more forms unlike a stealership where they transfer the title over to you.

Blythewoodjoe

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL T

portert0224 said:
GL pretty much does what it wants to do because we are a captive audience who wants a unique product that cannot be gotten from any other source. So really, GL has no incentive or motivation to improve customer service.
Thank you. That pretty much sums it up. The point is they used to do it better and can do it better now if they wanted too.

They are not going to scrap vehicles is we call them on this. What they do with this stuff is up to the Feds. They are brokers that have to account for the property.

Lets look at loyalties here a minute:
GL share holder: Himself
GL employee: GL share holder
Steelsoldiers staff: Us guys and the advertisers (which now includes GL on EVERY page)
Steelsoldiers members: You only know that, there's no money trail here and that is what really motivates people.

Not trying to steep on any toes here but even us steelsoldiers members now own GL for this wonderful site because they advertise, and I assume they pay for this, and that relieves some of the burden from us. I don't think anyone here would choose GL over us, you guys are hands down the finest crowd I have ever hung out with but I think at very least there will be those among us that will try to make piece with the members and GL so we don't loose an advertiser.

Point is GL used to do a better job and in there position customer service is easy to over look because we aren't going anywhere as customers. Yea I know some of us don't do business with them but that means we aren't buying military surplus. It's not like we can go to their competitors. One point though. There are some jerks at GL but there are also some really nice people I must point out that some of the staff I have met have been very helpful. Again, most companies are that way.

Not only does GL treat us poorly but they appear to be violating the law. We would have sue to make them be ethical. That happens everyday in corporate America. But lucky for us it appears law enforcement will step in and help out with at least some of these problems. That's the sad part about this. GL clearly will push us as far as they can get away with. Now I'm done with thread.

portert0224

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE:

I have served as a COR (Contracting Officer's Representative) at several of my duty stations and I have completed several contracting classes in order to execute my military duty assignments. I have a fair amount of knowledge of Goverment contracts and contracting law.

GL won the bid for a contract that requires them to dispose of surplus DoD equipment. The basis of all contracts is a requirements document (statement of work or SOW) and a performance document (which lists in detail the measurable performance standards required of the contractor (GL) in executing the contract). Each contract has a single Contract Officer (aka KO) and may have several CORs. The KO is responsible for monitoring the performance requirements of the contractor (GL).

Bottom line is that the DoD contract probably spells out specific performance criteria that GL must abide by. All performance-based contracts have a Customer Satisfaction component. Other performanc requirements may be a time standard to dispose of the surplus, how it is to be stored, etc., etc.

So, if you really want to hit GL where it hurts, then send a certified, registered letter of complaint to the KO (Contracting Officer) that monitor's GL's contract. If GL fails a certain number of performance requirements set out in the contract, then then the Government can Terminate them for Cause (T for C) and re-solicit the contract.

I can tell you that between JULY 07 and JAN 08, GL only employed ONE Title Clerk to process all SF 97s. I complained relentlessly to "senior management" about the wait time for SF 97s, and I finally told them I was submitting a formal complaint to the KO (by the way, GL will NEVER give you to name and contact info for the KO even though you specifically ask them to). I found the KO contact info myself and wrote a formal letter of complaint, citing GL's own 30-day policy, and beginning MAR 08, GL hired "more Title Clerks". Now, that may be only one more title clerk--GL won't say how many they hired.

So, the point is, don't be afraid of what GL will or won't do to its customers. Create a climate where GL is afraid to provide poor customer service. Start writing to the KO who monitors the contract performance of GL. Keep your online chat records. Keep your e-mails to/from GL. Keep phone records of when you called GL. Always print a copy of the auction and print ALL photos of what you bid on. Send the facts to the KO and GL will respond because they do not want to lose the contract.

For what its worth.

Tracy

area52

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re:

portert0224 said:
I have served as a COR (Contracting Officer's Representative) at several of my duty stations and I have completed several contracting classes in order to execute my military duty assignments. I have a fair amount of knowledge of Goverment contracts and contracting law.

GL won the bid for a contract that requires them to dispose of surplus DoD equipment. The basis of all contracts is a requirements document (statement of work or SOW) and a performance document (which lists in detail the measurable performance standards required of the contractor (GL) in executing the contract). Each contract has a single Contract Officer (aka KO) and may have several CORs. The KO is responsible for monitoring the performance requirements of the contractor (GL).

Bottom line is that the DoD contract probably spells out specific performance criteria that GL must abide by. All performance-based contracts have a Customer Satisfaction component. Other performanc requirements may be a time standard to dispose of the surplus, how it is to be stored, etc., etc.

So, if you really want to hit GL where it hurts, then send a certified, registered letter of complaint to the KO (Contracting Officer) that monitor's GL's contract. If GL fails a certain number of performance requirements set out in the contract, then then the Government can Terminate them for Cause (T for C) and re-solicit the contract.

I can tell you that between JULY 07 and JAN 08, GL only employed ONE Title Clerk to process all SF 97s. I complained relentlessly to "senior management" about the wait time for SF 97s, and I finally told them I was submitting a formal complaint to the KO (by the way, GL will NEVER give you to name and contact info for the KO even though you specifically ask them to). I found the KO contact info myself and wrote a formal letter of complaint, citing GL's own 30-day policy, and beginning MAR 08, GL hired "more Title Clerks". Now, that may be only one more title clerk--GL won't say how many they hired.

So, the point is, don't be afraid of what GL will or won't do to its customers. Create a climate where GL is afraid to provide poor customer service. Start writing to the KO who monitors the contract performance of GL. Keep your online chat records. Keep your e-mails to/from GL. Keep phone records of when you called GL. Always print a copy of the auction and print ALL photos of what you bid on. Send the facts to the KO and GL will respond because they do not want to lose the contract.

For what its worth.

Tracy
contact info for the KO?

thank you for this good information! [thumbzup]

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with all you mentioned, but your failing to realize that the "customer" that is serviced by the contract is the US Govt, not us......... While we are customers, we're not the customer that has a say to the KO....

Also, if it does raise a stink, we all stand a good chance of winning our battle, of having NO SF-97 wait when it all goes to a scrap contract with mutilation required.... So decide what you want to happen and act accordingly.... Im not defending GL, but "becareful what you wish for"......................

area52

emmado22 said:
I agree with all you mentioned, but your failing to realize that the "customer" that is serviced by the contract is the US Govt, not us......... While we are customers, we're not the customer that has a say to the KO....

Also, if it does raise a stink, we all stand a good chance of winning our battle, of having NO SF-97 wait when it all goes to a scrap contract with mutilation required.... So decide what you want to happen and act accordingly.... Im not defending GL, but "becareful what you wish for"......................
While I agree this could happen, I doubt it. Look at the prices some of the trucks are getting. I know scrap iron is high but they would make more money as whole vehicles than scrap/no title. and profit is everything.

My first GL win deuce I actually got an Arizona title for it. I realize that they are doing alot more business now, but they should expand the help also.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep causing GL pain, and GL will make the pain go away via "scrap only" auctions.. the scrap guys are a whole nother market segment, and they dont call GL asking about papework or anything else.. All they do is show up and start scrapping as per the auction... And the scrap gets "gone" and that freed up space can become another area for another scrap auction.. No waiting for forms to get filled in, EUC's to clear, and pickup dates to arrive....

Do I agree, no... But thats another story...

If you were in GL's shoes, who makes your life easy, us, or the scrappers?????????????????

Like I said before.. Win the battle, but loose the war................
Just my .02 cents....

mangus580

You might want to do your research. There is alot more to what Uncle gets, and what GL gets. The breakdown has been posted in the forum before.

EdMontana

emmado22 said:
Keep causing GL pain, and GL will make the pain go away via "scrap only" auctions.. quote]

In my opinion GL is in the business to make the maximum money they can make, not to have an easy life and give up profit to scrap, so they will stop selling M35's for $2,500 and up to sell for scrap? and how much money they will loose selling it as a scrap?.....some of the trucks that are missing parts selling in the low hundreds.

Also, it will be limited to a few guys that are close for pick up the scrap....and they all have limits bringing a reduction of sales....if the parts were made out of titanium I would agree with it....

I agree with you in one sense but this scrap deal as no logic money wise, what GL need to do is get oil in the SF-97 wheel and start turning it fast....they can make more money "selling five or six SF97's" than one sold scrap vehicle.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
area52 said:
While I agree this could happen, I doubt it. Look at the prices some of the trucks are getting. I know scrap iron is high but they would make more money as whole vehicles than scrap/no title. and profit is everything.

My first GL win deuce I actually got an Arizona title for it. I realize that they are doing alot more business now, but they should expand the help also.
In my line of work we do alot of work for scrap companies. Right now I can sell scrap to the scrap yard for $206.00 a ton or roughly $1,300 per deuce. The scrap yard makes almost double that when they process it and send it to the foundry or $2,600 per deuce.

When GL sells scrap all they have to do is put it all in one pile and take one picture. No EUC or SF97 to worry about or have staff to process. No having to deal with appointments for several differnt people picking up trucks and trying to get them running so they can drive them home.

As you can see, Going the scrap route could be close to the same money with alot less hassel for GL. I hope it dosen't come to this :cry: .

area52

m16ty said:
area52 said:

In my line of work we do alot of work for scrap companies. Right now I can sell scrap to the scrap yard for $206.00 a ton or roughly $1,300 per deuce. The scrap yard makes almost double that when they process it and send it to the foundry or $2,600 per deuce.

When GL sells scrap all they have to do is put it all in one pile and take one picture. No EUC or SF97 to worry about or have staff to process. No having to deal with appointments for several differnt people picking up trucks and trying to get them running so they can drive them home.

As you can see, Going the scrap route could be close to the same money with alot less hassel for GL. I hope it dosen't come to this :cry: .
True, but you would not have "Bob" from Texas buying a scrap deuce in California. It would have to be local scrap guys buying it, so I would think that would cut down on sales some.

Anyway point being that if we just accept the way GL is doing things, even if they are not right/legal, then nothing is gonna get any better. I am not trying to back them into a corner on the legal issues, just make them aware so maybe they will change for the better for all of us.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks