• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep003 genset issue

grimiemitz

I am new to posting but have popped in time to time. I bought this mep003 on nice trailer a few years back. When I picked it up from a base in Maryland, the injector pump was off. I put it back together, timed it and it started and did everything it should. One day, it did not start and I came to the conclusion it was the injector pump. I found what they call oldham plunger retainer broken inside. I searched and found one and put it back together and it ran fine for a while. We just had a hurricane here on the shore in NC and I thought I would be doing well with all this power. I started it and it ran 10 minutes. I shut it off and it would not start again. I pulled the pump again and that dogbone looking oldham retainer was broken again. I could not get another soon so I had a buddy braise it. I spent another hour filing it and fiddling with it. I timed it and it ran five minutes and broke again. Now my question: Do these break that often am I doing something wrong or is there something to adjust that I don't know about.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I can't answer your question with any certainty, have you tried moving the plunger to see if it moves free? I may have a spare drive washer available.

Guyfang

Staff member
This could be because of a buildup of diesel lacquer in the IP. If it was me, I would time the set. Pull the IP, soak it in carb cleaner a day or two, before repairing the pump. Then reinstall. This is a common problem with gen sets that do not get run often, and do not get dosed with something to keep the lacquer down.

grimiemitz

It definitely had sat but, when I took it apart it was clean, the plunger moves smoothly and without restriction. The way it is seated its hard to believe they can break at all. I was wondering what can even make it break. Is it too much travel? There doesn't seem to be wear on shaft. I'm not sure that someone hadn't monkeyed with the amount of shims that were originally on it or if it would even effect that piece. I'm grasping at straws.

Guyfang

Staff member
Most of the time, when I have seen this kind of damage, it was because of sitting, and the lacquer build up. The pump only needs to bind up a mili second, and then that's, that.

Kinda sounds like like maybe the button is the wrong one, or maybe someone has fooled with it and maladjusted it. Have you read the TM about how to select the right button? Do you remember what number was on the button? If you have the pump off, then you can look. Then see if you have the right button.

grimiemitz

I have the literature on the pump but didn't notice button size.I didn't foresee it breaking again and I didn't have anything to replace it anyway.The people selling them are extremely proud of them @ $2o+ dollars a pop, So I would like to feel as though I have resolved the the issue before I install another. An emergency generator is worthless if it is not dependable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks