• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce retro single WWII G7107 mod project start

TaylorTradingCo

I have had this idea for a long time, and have finally gotten serious about working on it. I want to make one of my Deuces look like a G7107 WWII 2-ton single axle truck. I have seen too many singled out bobbed trucks, but I don't think I have ever seen one singled out and left long.

Attachments

Last edited:

TaylorTradingCo

The first thing I did was to remove the bed and then the rear walking beam suspension system. I had been planning this for a long time and lucked up and found an M36 rear drive shaft with the hanger bearing assembly a couple of years ago at the GA SS Rally. I think I got it from Pete PCTrans. Since the single axle would sit further back, I needed to do this rather than have a too long single drive shaft. Where I need to support the hanger bearing was where the air tanks tanks were so I had to remove them too.

Attachments

Last edited:

TaylorTradingCo

I took the main double rear cross member loose (you can see the six holes where it was originally) and moved it forward to be centered around the new axle position to give it clearance for vertical movement and balance of support. The last two of the holes still line up and can be reused.

Attachments

Last edited:

TaylorTradingCo

Looking at pics of G7107s, it looks like the rear axle is centered in the third bay on the bed, talking about troop seat support upright areas as for bays. The M36 drive shaft worked perfect for that distance and both cross member moves utilized at least some of the factory holes already there.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't wait to see the finished product. On a side note, frame flanges shouldn't be drilled. The flange is the strong point. You should glove the frame if you intend to put weight in it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... On a side note, frame flanges shouldn't be drilled...
True, they "shouldn't" be drilled... but those are the factory holes, left there after removing the rivets.

Deuces all have those and so far our frames have been holding up fairly well... At least we haven't heard of any reports of cracks, so far...:wink:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think he is asking if they are using huck bolts when putting it back together.

They didnt have them originally, so they are not "re" huck bolting.

tobyS

I went to 1/2" hex head bolts there, myself. The frame connection plates for the my bed have 1/2" thick plate so I have room for the heads.

77 AMG

Well, THAT is definitely a MAJOR improvement over the old ones. Pretty sure that I would NOT be happy about reaching into a void space and finding out that they had tails on them, though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks