• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sludge in bottom of filter normal?

russojap

I doubt it, but how common is it? What is it? I pulled the primary filter off because I couldn't get anything to come out of the drain,even after sticking something in it. It had about a 1/2 or more of this stuff. Thanks.
IMG_20180922_135140.jpg

IMG_20180922_133938.jpg

IMG_20180922_133802.jpg

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you changed the filters before or is this the first time? Looks like algae to me. May need to do a fuel system clean.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. Looks like what I just took out of my m51. I found a combination of water, algea, and the oil I had tried to run (its the multifuel) mixed in with the diesel. I drained the tank, tried to rinse with some fresh fuel, and replaced all the filters. Only running diesel from here out.

russojap

It's the first time I've changed them, so it's been at least eight years. I've already drained the tank and put all new fuel in.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's the first time I've changed them, so it's been at least eight years. I've already drained the tank and put all new fuel in.
How clean was the tank? May need to clean it out as well. You may want to run some Algae stopper for a little bit. Not sure what is best, ask your parts place maybe.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks typical for 8 years. I flushed the tank with E85. Took it off and filled it with 15 gal E85 and let it slosh around in my pickup for a few days. Dissolved all the goo and slime. Then drained, flushed with water and let dry thoroughly in the sun.

russojap

I realize now I should have used a flashlight to look in the tank when it was empty, but I was in a hurry and working on it down in the yard, so I didn't. However I did stick a yard stick down in the tank a few times to see how high the fuel was and it came out clean, so maybe it's ok?

Plus, nothing drained out of the tank that looked unusual.
There's only 10 gallons in it so I should still be able to see if there is something crazy going on in the tank.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can reach my arm through the filler neck to the bottom to feel for yuck. If you are Popeye you may have to pull the fuel pump to reach in to inspect.

russojap

I can reach my arm through the filler neck to the bottom to feel for yuck. If you are Popeye you may have to pull the fuel pump to reach in to inspect.
Definitely not Popeye, I'm closer to Olive Oyl. I just took a look in the tank and it doesn't look anything like inside the filters. I can see an old gasket on the bottom of the tank and it's spotty looking on the bottom.

Right now I'm trying to get the primary back on, it has a tremendous amount of spring pressure and I can't figure out how to get the top bolt started. I wonder if that's why so many seem to be missing the spring.
IMG_20180922_183425.jpg
IMG_20180922_183748.jpg
IMG_20180922_183327.jpg

I also took the rear secondary off and cleaned it out , there was enough gunk in there to stop up the drain, but nothing like the primary filter, it was also a lighter color goo, like red rust.

I'm having trouble getting the gasket on it upside down.
IMG_20180922_193058.jpgIMG_20180922_193201.jpg
IMG_20180922_193151.jpg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I couldn't get the secondary gasket in place either from underneath. Had to unbolt the filter housing from the engine and flip it.

russojap

This is a good opportunity to change to spin on fuel filters. It makes filter changes a little simpler.
I've always thought they were a rather expensive luxury item, but after experiencing the original setup will definitely be adding them later. I might have to add them now if I can't get this thing back together.

How could they promote me to Sergeant when I can't even change a fuel filter?

Last edited:

Katahdin

The secondary NAPA filters are known not to come with the correct gasket. Go back to NAPA and get the #5070 gasket and it'll be a lot easier for you.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use grease to hold the gaskets in the groove, DO NOT over tighten the cans, you will cut the gasket.

russojap

I'm sending the payment for a spin on primary tommorow, I have very little confidence in the original setup after opening it and will change out the secondary filters asap.One reason is because it looks like fuel can easily go between the center bolt and the filter housing, plus there was crud on the top and bottom of the whole thing, and crud in the secondary filter. If the primary was doing its job , shouldn't the secondary have been clean? It was a lot cleaner but still very dirty in there, just a finer crud. Since I've already paid $40 for the filters and opened them I'll use them for a while.

Can someone explain how the original primary is supposed to filter anyhow? Also, what does JATONKA mean, or stand for? Thanks.

Last edited:

russojap

So I was able to install the primary filter while I'm waiting for the spin on to get here.

However, somebody is going to have to explain how to get the 3512 NAPA filters closed up inside the secondary canisters, they seem too long and I can't start the nut at the top. Will they definitely fit? Are they usually hard to get in?

Edit: Never mind it went on,not sure what I was doing wrong.

Last edited:

russojap

I'm starting to get really aggravated at this secondary filter setup. Now the little rubber washer got wedged between the center bolt and the steel washer in the canister and tore. Where am I supposed to be able to find one of those? With this crazy setup it's amazing these trucks are even still running.

Maybe I can find one at Lowe's in the plumbing department that will work for a while.

IMG_20180930_151527.jpg

Edit: Didn't make it to Lowe's before they closed, but Rural King was still open so I got this o ring that looks close. I wish it was a little thicker though, I'll probably wait and go to Lowe's to try and find a better fit. If anybody has a better solution please let me know.
IMG_20180930_223558.jpg
IMG_20180930_222344.jpg
IMG_20180930_222739_1.jpg
IMG_20180930_222438.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks