• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Used to Be on my Hood?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone is on active, they can look up/get a copy of TB746-93-1. That TB covers marking of vehicles. It should have your answer as to where the marker would be placed.

The first doc shows a basic placement of the bridge Classification marker. The second Doc is the Regulation, here in Germany that covers bridge crossings. Hope it comes out.
Looks like installation is actually covered in TB 43-0209, 31 OCT 1990 (available via https://liw.logsa.army.mil/etmapp/#/etm/search )

A Vehicle weight classification sign kit, as described herein, will be installed on the front of each vehicle...

These vehicle weight classification sign kits can be installed on vehicles in different ways. For example, in the case of Cargo Truck [M35 or M923 pictured] the sign can be installed on the brust guard, on the splash shield, or in an upright position on the fender. The choice of method is left to the using organization.

(1) Location.

(a) The classification sign will be installed on the vehicle in one of the following locations:
1. Right front fender.
2. Right side of Brush Guard.
3. Right front section of hull.
4. Right side of center front bumper splash shield

(b) The sign will be placed below the driver's line of vision and will be positioned so that it will not block headlamps, marker lights, blackout lights, air intakes, etc.
----
CAUTION

If it is found that the vehicle classification sign seriously obstructs airflow to the radiator, as indicated by engine overheating, remove sign from the brush guard and install sign elsewhere

NormB

Here's a picture of my number location.
View attachment 755770
I was planning on putting 92 on mine (mfd 12-91).

So I got to looking at the kit - there’s no instructions. How do the pieces stay put?

Even looking at yours, I can’t figure out how that half-moon plate at top stays in place.

Don’t mind drilling holes in the hood and stiffener below, have hdwr I can use, but without a retainer, how’s it all not go bouncing off into roadside detritus land?

NB

springer1981

I was planning on putting 92 on mine (mfd 12-91).
So I got to looking at the kit - there’s no instructions. How do the pieces stay put?
Even looking at yours, I can’t figure out how that half-moon plate at top stays in place.
Don’t mind drilling holes in the hood and stiffener below, have hdwr I can use, but without a retainer, how’s it all not go bouncing off into roadside detritus land?
NB
It's just spring tension from the number plates that hold it in place. The half-moon piece has slight depression at the pins that prevent it from sliding off.

NormB

It's just spring tension from the number plates that hold it in place. The half-moon piece has slight depression at the pins that prevent it from sliding off.
So the shallow U-bracket goes across the plate, number plates go over it, the half-moon piece (w/ detents I hadn’t noticed until you mentioned them) holds everything in place. piece of angle bracket’s extra unless it’s getting mounted to a bumper or something.

Thanks.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few other threads regarding these plates and how to configure.

I purchased one and will place it after I touch up my slantback.

Important information regarding weight and ability to cross certain bridges on these plates, especially utilized in Europe IIRC.

I will search for another older thread later if I have time. That thread describes the number classifications and such.

Best,

T

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few other threads regarding these plates and how to configure.

I purchased one and will place it after I touch up my slantback.

Important information regarding weight and ability to cross certain bridges on these plates, especially utilized in Europe.

I will search for another older thread later if I have time. That thread describes the number classifications and such.

Best,

T
Post #2

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?54634-Bridge-plate-numbers/page3

Last edited:

Wire Fox

So...if I'm reading that TB correctly, these number plate positions have all been incorrect. For one, it would technically need to be on the "fender" portion of the hood instead of near center, plus it also needs to be displayed upright. But in being upright, it would be in the view of the driver, so it would be wrong. On the grill, it would significantly obstruct airflow, so also wrong. This would normally leave you with the brush guard as the final option, but not all HMMWVs are equipped with this, plus the only right-hand placement would block a light, airflow, or a unit marking. There's really no correct place for this thing to be per military standards on a HMMWV. I guess that's why it ends up "somewhere on the right-side of the hood" so vaguely, and flat instead of upright.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for Gits and Shiggles, I wanna point out that the new 20'th anniversary logo for Steel Soldiers has a bridgeplate as the centerpiece.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks