• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 info requested. yes< I have searched... any help is appreciated

jkgchp

Him gang,
I joined this forum just for the purpose of gathering info and connecting with people in the know on adapting an M1070 HET for civilian use.
I have read tech posts, etc and have a very-general idea what I am in for...
What I am thinking of doing is adapting one or two of these trucks into CA registered vehicles for use on construction sites- Primarily on-site water truck and on-site dump truck. The all wheel drive and strength are a plus. Low speed is not an issue in this use...
What I cant seem to find is information about CA registration and emission challenges. I have contacted a member who has an M1070 for sale in CA, but I have not heard back yet.
(to clarify-I do not own a truck yet. Looking to buy if the civil use is a possibility)
Any leads on a good unit for sale would be helpful too.
Any info on people with knowledge to share or fab work I can pay for to adapt these cool trucks for a civilian life would be helpful.
CA registration and emissions info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all very much

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Why not a 917? They are already setup as dump trucks. Just as big. Parts are alot more common to find in commercial parts as HET parts are not that readily available.

917s are also alot cheaper as well.

jkgchp

thank you for the response- educated options are exactly what I was hoping for to educate me a little..,.or a lot actually!

I am taking your advice and checking out the 917 as we speak.

Full disclosure and complete honesty here... One reason for the M1070 is it just looks so Bad-ass.

Shark Bait

The M-1070 is and awesome truck. It is not "all wheel drive" it is 6x8 with selectable 8x8. It is heavy, about 41,000lbs. The traction is not great without weight on the rear. The Detroit likes high revving and therefore loves the fuel, mine averaged about 1.2-1.8 mpg in the hills of WV. 47 mph is the governed speed, I have hit 51 mph, down hill, and alarms going off. I believe fuel capacity is 325 gallons or so. It is a fun truck to drive! If you get one and know what to expect you'll love it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Him gang,
I joined this forum just for the purpose of gathering info and connecting with people in the know on adapting an M1070 HET for civilian use.
I have read tech posts, etc and have a very-general idea what I am in for...
What I am thinking of doing is adapting one or two of these trucks into CA registered vehicles for use on construction sites- Primarily on-site water truck and on-site dump truck. The all wheel drive and strength are a plus. Low speed is not an issue in this use...
What I cant seem to find is information about CA registration and emission challenges. I have contacted a member who has an M1070 for sale in CA, but I have not heard back yet.
(to clarify-I do not own a truck yet. Looking to buy if the civil use is a possibility)
Any leads on a good unit for sale would be helpful too.
Any info on people with knowledge to share or fab work I can pay for to adapt these cool trucks for a civilian life would be helpful.
CA registration and emissions info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all very much
It's going take some searching and reading but the information is scattered through the site. These should have some info

New EPA Regulations On Large Truck Emissions

new diesel smog laws in california

New member from California needs help with registering a 1999 M1070!!!

California Title Registration Diesel Smog Law and GL loadout info for M35 Deuce 5 Ton

FMTV in California?

State of CA and 5 ton regs

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/onrdiesel.htm

https://www.google.com/search?sourc.......1..gws-wiz.....0..35i39j0i131.L5Fd_Ka2p2w

jkgchp

awesome guys!- thank you all for taking the time and posting some info.
To clarify a little-
I am familiar with diesel regs and emissions for 'regular' big rigs. I have a civil engineering contractor business and own a few late model Peterbilts, reg for on the road use.
What confuses me, is how are these particular ex-military trucks (either the M1070, or as Simp5783 pointed out- a 917) labeled- is there an emission sticker on the engine at all? I would imagine if there is not an emission label or emission equip on the engine, then an off road/non-op or Historic registration would be the only avenue available to me...

I recently bought a boat (originally made and certified in the US) from Canada and shipped it back. The paperwork involved and proof that the boat had US emissions was an eye opener. Thankfully, the emission sticker on the engine itself saved me from a nightmare scenario...
It is with that experience fresh in my mind that has me wondering about the challenges of registering these trucks in CA.

thanks again for all the help so far!

cwedge411

California is not truck friendly at all..best advice...move lol

awesome guys!- thank you all for taking the time and posting some info.
To clarify a little-
I am familiar with diesel regs and emissions for 'regular' big rigs. I have a civil engineering contractor business and own a few late model Peterbilts, reg for on the road use.
What confuses me, is how are these particular ex-military trucks (either the M1070, or as Simp5783 pointed out- a 917) labeled- is there an emission sticker on the engine at all? I would imagine if there is not an emission label or emission equip on the engine, then an off road/non-op or Historic registration would be the only avenue available to me...

I recently bought a boat (originally made and certified in the US) from Canada and shipped it back. The paperwork involved and proof that the boat had US emissions was an eye opener. Thankfully, the emission sticker on the engine itself saved me from a nightmare scenario...
It is with that experience fresh in my mind that has me wondering about the challenges of registering these trucks in CA.

thanks again for all the help so far!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont know if things have changed or not but I bought an M920 from a construction company in CA who had bought the truck as a heavy hauler for big equipment when the owner went into the DMV to register it as a commercial truck they essentially laughed at him and said its NEVER going to happen, I got a decent deal on an M920 with 906 miles on it. this was 3 years ago I have not clue what CA is doing wrong now?
Good luck
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks