• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interior paint colour for V100?

Maple Leaf Eh

What would have been the factory colour for sn 10799, delivered March 1969? Green or white? It is apple green now, but has been through unk number of rebuilds in its life.

Private conversation with another member here asserted by that date, green was specification. He referenced another person. Not wanting to call anyone a fibber, but is there a definitive document that would settle my doubts?

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, FS 24533. Just had Sherwin Williams make some up. Sea Foam Green. RAPCO has it too in enamel.

Maple Leaf Eh

Now, not to doubt anyone, but is there a period reference document for this? Statistically, this group may seem significant, but there were high hundreds of V100s delivered.

(As one commentator messaged me, a lot of contemporary photographs were brightened by flashes or sunbleached.)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
wgtactical probably can get a 100% answer for you. He owns pretty much all the factory documentation. Even blueprints.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As JimK posted, the manuals from that period (late '60s/early '70s) specify SeaFoam green as the interior colour.

This is probably on the page Jim posted above - the interior face of all opening hatches were painted with the appropriate exterior camouflage colour.

Now, not all interiors ended up seafoam green all the time.
The Vietnam V100 guys who visited me a few years ago related a tale about repainting one of their vehicles inside and out prior to an inspection by a general.
Upon opening a can of what was marked FS 24533, they found it to actually contain pink paint.
They mentioned this to a superior who gruffly told them "If the right number is on the can, use that paint!!"
So, in short order they had a V100 that was a lurid shade of pink inside. The general, upon looking inside, inquired about said shade, and on hearing the explanation appeared amused, but not necessarily happy!
So, if you see pictures of a V100 in Vietnam with the name Pink Panther on it, you now know how it got named.

Cheers

Last edited:

plasmacutter

here is the mix from ppg this color sea foam green is tricky,

when you look at it it changes a lot with light
DSC05818.jpgDSC05712.jpgDSC05815.jpg

these 2 pictures are of my truck using the same camera, diffrent light

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Angle/lighting make a big difference in photographs, so you can't trust them completely, particularly on a computer. Did it dry high gloss like that?

Interesting plug panel. What is the middle connector for?

Cheers

Last edited:

plasmacutter

Yes , the paint is a base coat clear coat -- glossy ,
The panel is not original , the 3rd outlet is wired for a military trailer,
I made up an extension that allows you to run the trailer wire over the top hatch
nothing big or heavy just a m1102. the 4th is a new style nato slave though i have an adapter for the old style
i run a night sun on top in one of the gun mounts my version is an E2
and it makes it easy and not stick out as far

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailer hookup, okay. More permanent that my Y-connectors on the appropriate wires, cable run through the back pistol port. :)

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks