• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear suspension for 5 ton bob

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the switch on the tranny is powered on reverse, you have the source and don't need a second switch, unless you are talking about a power relay, switched by the tranny pressure switch that would take the load that a buzzer and lights could put on the circuit.

You may also want an on-off for the circuit, especially the buzzer, to "shut the dam thing up" if you know what i mean.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want, or don’t mind switched power to the transmission reverse switch. You could tap the wire that you pulled off for the front bed marker lights, it would be relatively close to where your trans switch will be.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want, or don’t mind switched power to the transmission reverse switch. You could tap the wire that you pulled off for the front bed marker lights, it would be relatively close to where your trans switch will be.
His marker lights would have to be on for it to have power, where the safety system needs to work at any time it's reversing.

There would probably be no safety inspection, like OSHA or insurance, until something happens. I'm not sure... a switch to manually turn it off may not be kosher.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably should pull power directly off the battery then, heater power is on the master switch. Also the brake light power, is switched by the 3-lever, so maybe switched brake light power is what he is addressing here?
... and there is a secondary brake light switch on the rear double check valve...
Not quite following this part...

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please explain the operation of the pressure switch on the tranny to me. Does it switch NO to closed (or NC to open) on having hydraulic pressure and is that pressure generated going forward or reverse, in either direction? Does this switch lock out the starter solenoid or is there a mechanical switch for that? (Sorry, too laze to go look in the mud).

jimbo66348

In the plumbing of my trailer air hoses, I have a double check valve feeding my trolley valve, so the side with the greater pressure will feed the valve. In the back of the truck, I put in a secondary double check valve to feed the trailer. This combines the foot valve and trolley valve, so the one with greater pressure will operate the trailer brakes. On this valve there is a brake light switch. This switch will put on the brake lights when just the trolley valve is used. This is the second brake light switch. I hope that I explained it.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please explain the operation of the pressure switch on the tranny to me. Does it switch NO to closed (or NC to open) on having hydraulic pressure and is that pressure generated going forward or reverse, in either direction? Does this switch lock out the starter solenoid or is there a mechanical switch for that? (Sorry, too laze to go look in the mud).
You have to add a N/O 1/8”npt pressure switch to the circled portIMG_6151.jpg There’s been several treads on cheap substitutes vs buying the switch from Alison, I cant remember the pressure threshold, but if I remember right, the one I bought is a fairly low pressure brake light switch (50 psi maybe?).IMG_6153.jpg Sorry no part numbers, but if needed I can throw this in and measure the reverse port pressure while I have it open...

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that port only sees pressure when it's in reverse and closes the switch? got it (I think)

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, as far as I know. I will try to get the test gauge on it soon, then see if it closes the switch I bought. I may be able to go back in my receipts to see exactly what I bought, or just pressure test my switch as well, to see what psi it closes at.

Last edited:

dodgebroke

IMG_1062.jpgIMG_0902.jpgI used front the front leaf springs and hangers from a UPS truck I found in the scrap yard. Then I used airbags between the springs and bump stop mounts and 1 ton shocks from a 3500 Dodge Ram. Rides amazing and I can squat it when I want to look cool to the millennials.IMG_0904.jpgIMG_1065.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 755485View attachment 755484I used front the front leaf springs and hangers from a UPS truck I found in the scrap yard. Then I used airbags between the springs and bump stop mounts and 1 ton shocks from a 3500 Dodge Ram. Rides amazing and I can squat it when I want to look cool to the millennials.View attachment 755486View attachment 755487
Nice build on the truck...I love it especially the duckbill. Do you have a tan or brown bed cover too. One just slightly higher or the same as the cab top would look sweet.

You have a lot of leverage to twist with 1600's. Have you considered a torsion rod or two?

Enjoy!

dodgebroke

I never got a chance to finish the bed cover. I took it to a car show and a guy just had to have it. I told him a price and he paid cash right there. I never had a lot of axle wrap, those springs were pretty stout.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know how that goes... you get a project about done, functioning smoothly and sell it for them to put the completing TLC into. That kinda stopped for me when 5 tons dried up and I didn't do the Stewart and Stevenson or HMMWV.

I have a A3 deuce build that is expanding to almost nothing left..... that isn't unmolested, changed or rebuilt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks