• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RT-111/TRC-20 Radio Question

JJHoneck

My '42 Jeep came with this vintage radio set. The radio has a service date of 1945, while the power supply is dated 1951.

My friend, a former radio engineer, has been helping me try to fire it up. The interior components are absolutely immaculate -- everything looks brand new! These things were really built to last. (Of course, it weighs almost 100 pounds!)

Unfortunately, after extensive testing we have determined that we are missing a "vibrator", which is an essential power supply component. (The bottom unit in the pic.) Whether this was removed by the military to demilitarize and disable the radio, or whether it simply failed and was removed, we will never know. Without it, we have no way to power up the radio.

According to the schematic (which the military wisely etched into the case), it is a 12 volt Mallory VB-13A vibrator. The socket has 8 pins, although only 4 pins are connected. I have not been able to find out much about this vibrator on-line.

Does anyone know of a vintage radio component supplier for these old military sets? I'd love to get it working again!

Thanks,

Jay

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just need a Ham radio operator buddy that has a 10 meter FM rig to talk to it. It transmits/receives 27-39 Mhz FM.

JJHoneck

Well, got the new part (a "vibrator"), plugged it in, stood back, turned it on...and nothing. Maybe a faint hum.

We've got a spark at the battery connection now, which means we have at least got a circuit -- more than we had before -- but that was the only sign of life.

My radio engineer is going to have another look at it. Obviously some other 75 year old part is FUBAR.

Ah, the fun of antique electronics!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks