• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antenna question as-3900 and 4ft antennas

Lazboytt

Hello was wondering if anyone knows if you can mount the following antennas on an as-3885 base. Not sure if you could make an adapter or buy one or perhaps pick up a new spring that would work. I plan on using them just for a normal radio so not concerned with the frequency issues.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They aren't 4 ft antennas. You are missing the top element that screws into the bottom element. Check the radio forum. Pretty sure they screw right into the base.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The antenna mast you have looks like a vsq-1. It is maybe 54 inches one piece and will not fit your base pictured. No adapters that I know of.

The base is shorter with the spring at the base with no tall collar/body for your mast.

Specs here:
https://www.rami.com/product/as-3449vsq-1/

Your base is the same as mx6707 which uses a 2 mast antenna but is threaded different size than the as3900

Lazboytt

My thought was that perhaps could find something like this to make them work if I can find the correct thread on both sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Ahh... the ANTENNA and not an easy topic. They are everywhere, in just about everything these days. Discovered, studied, applied, theorized, tried and tested and still misunderstood. I'am no expert, but have build my share. Antennas challenges even the best of engineer and mechanical requirement. Receiving and transmitting, antennas are the beginning and ending to a properly designed system. If this need is for ONE frequency or a small BANDWIDTH, this is bit easier to do.

Cover a wide range of frequency while maintain a design level of performance is the challenge of designing antennas. The military battle field communicators knows all to well of this requirement. If it was easy, the bent up coat hanger in the busted antenna hole would be the end of story.

The seriousness of the antenna to the proper operation (this example, military) is the fittings do not match up or couple together, so Pvt. Gomer Pyle does't screw up the way was designed.

For the Hmmwv hobbyist, looking cool is one thing, work right is another. That's why you see two or more antennas on military vehicles. All about form and function. Note too that Hmmwv didn't come with commercial broadcast radios covering the AM 540 to 1650 KHz and / or FM 88 to 108 MHz range. Nope, nada not even on eeebay.

Using the common surplus combat net antennas 30-88 MHz will not cover the range of interest above. Some are multi-band with couplers and splitters and cool, are bad choices too.

These antennas are for all practical / electrical reasons are a mismatch for a broadcast "AM/FM" set-up. As to do with resonant frequencies. (that's a look-up)

If you tried one and seems to worked, then great. So did the coat hanger, sort of.

Bigger is not always better. Green is cool.

Ready to take some interference on this one.

Hearing static.... CAM OUT.

suzukovich

Ahh... the ANTENNA and not an easy topic. They are everywhere, in just about everything these days. Discovered, studied, applied, theorized, tried and tested and still misunderstood. I'am no expert, but have build my share. Antennas challenges even the best of engineer and mechanical requirement. Receiving and transmitting, antennas are the beginning and ending to a properly designed system. If this need is for ONE frequency or a small BANDWIDTH, this is bit easier to do.

Cover a wide range of frequency while maintain a design level of performance is the challenge of designing antennas. The military battle field communicators knows all to well of this requirement. If it was easy, the bent up coat hanger in the busted antenna hole would be the end of story.

The seriousness of the antenna to the proper operation (this example, military) is the fittings do not match up or couple together, so Pvt. Gomer Pyle does't screw up the way was designed.

For the Hmmwv hobbyist, looking cool is one thing, work right is another. That's why you see two or more antennas on military vehicles. All about form and function. Note too that Hmmwv didn't come with commercial broadcast radios covering the AM 540 to 1650 KHz and / or FM 88 to 108 MHz range. Nope, nada not even on eeebay.

Using the common surplus combat net antennas 30-88 MHz will not cover the range of interest above. Some are multi-band with couplers and splitters and cool, are bad choices too.

These antennas are for all practical / electrical reasons are a mismatch for a broadcast "AM/FM" set-up. As to do with resonant frequencies. (that's a look-up)

If you tried one and seems to worked, then great. So did the coat hanger, sort of.

Bigger is not always better. Green is cool.

Ready to take some interference on this one.

Hearing static.... CAM OUT.
Kind of funny. When I was stationed in Germany in the early 90s to late 2000s. We were able to tune in German TV and most radio stations using our PRC77 and VICs, as long as you knew what frequency to use. Next to Impossible with SINGARS, different antenna base but also could be done provided you didn't have it set at HOPSEC.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
This would be true. Those radios covered portions of the TV and radio bands used in various countries here in the US. In this case 30 to 88 MHz. Would work if in SINGLE CHANNEL "SC" mode. Had noting to do with antennas as they too tracked or covered the sames range of frequencies. HOPSEC is a whole different story. Here in the US, after the digital upgrades you are not going to find those stations due to "rebanded" out of the low band to UHF spectrum.

To much info, but good to know.

CAM

papakb

When TV was broadcast in analog format the standard VHF military radios would pick up the low band channels on 59.75 (2), 61.75 (3) and 71.75 (4). These were great frequencies to check your radios on. When the FCC went to digital transmitting that all want away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks